Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > novel    

novel

lamyaa
Egypt

novel

i need hellp on how 2 teach very long novels ...we usually have one hour per week only to teach chapters of the same novel...time is never enough to read for details and discuss the characters and themes..etc. i tried to use oral questions to cover most of the pats, bt Ss loseconcntration:( .... any ideas?

7 Nov 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

Split the book into chapters, and set a different task every time:
1. have sts read at home with tasks to look for specific vocabulary or info
2. have sts read in class but in pairs and make notes about the text
3. prepare a powerpoint with the text split into paragraphs with a slide of questions after each paragraph
4. provide the sts with a summary of a chapter and have them read the original text at home and find the info which is missing from your summary ( �detective � reading)
5. make a working copy of a chapter and cut it into 6-7 pieces - then either read the text aloud or prepare the audio and have the sts re-order the cut-outs
6. use audio or your voice, and provide the sts with a copy of the text (printed or ppt) with some info different (slight mistakes in word order or content) and have them �hunt � for the weaknesses
7. provide them with almost the whole chapter, but don �t give them the ending - have them guess it and then read it to them....
I know, it �s so little time and such long texts, but if you keep them on their toes, have sort of little competitions and have them guessing which method you �re going to use next - then they will read at home and that can save time. If you ever have the time, making a class poster with magazine pictures or their drawings of how they imagine the characters and settings, it helps immensely, because people nowadays have lots of problems visualising things from books, seeing as we �re all so accustomed to watching movies, not reading. Have to go now, but I do wish you all the best with this. It �s possible, but very demanding on you and your sts. However if you make it feel like a competition or a game, there �s always humour in the situations, and it relaxes the sts and the whole process goes on so much more easily.

7 Nov 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/151960

http://www.kimskorner4teachertalk.com/readingliterature/novels/of_mice_and_men/of_mice_and_men.htm

http://www.lingua.org.uk/novteach.alkire.html

7 Nov 2009     

cauffeypot
Albania

I learned this in a reading class. Do Novel In An Hour. Basically, you divide the students up based on The Multiple Intelligences. Then each group is responsible for presenting their chapter based on their Intelligence. For example, Musical students may read chapter 1 set to music. The Kinesthetic group will present Chapter 2 in the form of a tableau. The Artistic group will draw the scenes from Chapter 3. It takes about one class period and it �s fun. And fast.

8 Nov 2009