Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE DISHONEST COLLEAGUES?    

WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE DISHONEST COLLEAGUES?

ariangie
Costa Rica

WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE DISHONEST COLLEAGUES?

DEAR TEACHERS: I AM FEELING A LITTLE BIT BLUE AND HAVING SECONDS THOUGHTS ABOUT MY CAREER CHOICE. THIS HAPPENED SINCE ONE OF MY "COLLEAGUES" DID A VERY NASTY MOVE BEHIND MY BACK. IT WAS SOMETHING REALLY DISHONEST AND ALSO ILLEGAL. I TALKED TO THE PRINCIPAL ABOUT IT BUT HE IS NOT GOING TO ANYTHING BECAUSE HE IS AFRAID OF TAKING SIDES. I DO NOT EVEN WANT TO SEE THIS TEACHER AGAIN, BUT MY WORKPLACE IS VERY SMALL AND WE HAVE TO SEE EACH OTHER EVERY DAY. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? HAVE YOU BEEN IN THESE TYPE SITUATIONS? THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR ADVICE WITH ME.Cry

8 Nov 2009      

Teacher Laura!
Brazil

Hey, just don �t let this put you down. I now it is hard, but we must keep trying, we must keep going. These kind of people we will always find wherever we go, they are envy and cannot see other people �s success. If it changes into an impossible situation, if you feel like you can �t go on try to find another place to work otherwise this will be bad for you. But if you can still go on, try to be strong because you will succed!

8 Nov 2009     

anamb7
Argentina

Dear Ariangie,

Your career choice has nothing to do with this unfotunate incident. Remember that, in life, you always have to face all sorts of people and sooner or later someone will disappoint you. Have you ever  tried talking to this person about it and made him/her know that you �ve been deeply hurt? I reckon that �s the best way to smooth over the bad feelings between you both and try to feel more self-confident to gain that person �s respect. Hope you �ll find my advice useful.
Hugs
Ana

8 Nov 2009     

ariangie
Costa Rica

thank you for your  wise advice I feel much  better, I will try to overcome this, but I can �t deny it is hard. Thanks!!! It is really nice to have someone to talk to when you are in need. Thank you guys you rock!!!Hug

8 Nov 2009     

reeta1
Canada

My first year teaching, a teacher chewed me out in the hall in front of her student (and all the others as they were changing classes) because he didn �t win the spelling bee I had put together. I could have reported her (and should have) but I look back at it now and laugh, because I �m a much better person than she �ll ever be (I think). Believe me, there are many, many teachers you work with who will act unprofessionally for some reason, and you can either pursue it or let it go. Now, this teacher is doing something illegal? If this is your teaching partner, I �d let him/her know that illegal is not okay. If this illegal activity is going to hurt your professional reputation in a bad way, I �d be complaining to anyone with ears. If you only work with this teacher from a distance, tell the principal and let it be his problem. Just document it, so when the police come to cart this teacher away, you can say, "But I did tell the principal four months ago! Here are my notes." Good luck.

8 Nov 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Dear ariangie, there are people like those everywhere, no matter what workplace you refer to. You just have to learn to go ahead and stick to what you believe is true. I quite understand how you feel know because I �m also too sensitive to this kind of situations, but we have to learn to overcome it!!!C �mon, cheer up!

9 Nov 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

Nasty, dishonest, ILLEGAL? I think more info is needed to give advice. Are we talking assault and battery, or just gossiping or stealing one of your worksheets? A career change seems kinda drastic.

9 Nov 2009     

EvaRamos
Panama

Ariangie,
   Sorry to hear about what happened to you.  Unfortunately, nothing can be perfect in life.  In our profession there will always be people who may not make things easier for you, due to envy or simple because they are just like that.  There will also be people who would make us be better teachers and people.  Dont let that anyone take the love for the wonderful work that we do.  Think of your students smiling faces when they have learned something new, that is what matters at the end.  Life is about growing, and many times we grow the hard way.  Right now, you feel it �s the end of the world, and I understand why, but time heal all wounds, and you will find the strength you need in your students :)

So cheer up!!!  Don �t let anyone take your smile and happiness away.  Your students need you.

A big hug,
Eva

9 Nov 2009     

Mahalo
United States

Ariangie,
If it is illegal, you should report it to the police. Consider if it is harming someone (what if that was you or your child...). Otherwise, it may be best to "bit the bullet" and stay away from the person. If you do not have tenure, maybe start getting those resumes out..

There is a teacher at my school who is constantly having one affair after another with our students (they are adults, but still, he is married, and it is VERY unprofessional.) Students and our supervisor know about it-he blatantly cohorts with her at school, in the parking lot, and at local restaurants, but nothing is done about it...

Just know that what comes around, eventually goes around.

Best of luck, Mahalo

9 Nov 2009