Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What should I do?    

What should I do?

dwaikat
Palestine

What should I do?

Hi there,

I �d like to ask about the best way to deal with school students inside the classroom! Sometimes, they get really bad grades and show disrespect to some teachers:S

Should I punish them since I tried to encourage them first?

Waiting to hear from anyone who can help!

13 Nov 2009      

_babz
Canada

when I first started teaching....I was so nice.

and even at the beginning of the year, I was really nice....I allowed many things to go by, that I shouldn �t.

I strongly suggest that you don �t do like me...otherwise you end up chanelling your anger in your personal life...that �s what happened to me..

for the last month and half....I �ve changed. And I believe most teachers eventually change.

I now tell my students: I might be friendly, but I �m not your friend. I �m cool, I joke a lot, we play games, but when it �s time to work, you work, and you show respect. Otherwise there is hell to pay.

I just gave 2 detentions today. I started the class: ´Hello class. In my other group, 2 students were excited and got in trouble, so I expect you to be on your best group.´ Did they listen. No.

Rather than take this warning, the group that got my 1 minute speech acted just as bad. Friday the 13th..who knows..anyways.........3 hours of detention should do the trick.

13 Nov 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Most of students at my school - who don �t know me very well - are afraid of me. They tell their teachers that I look very strict and once a new teacher used to tell her students that if they didn �t behavior very well she would give me the class. Abusive, huh?

But in fact I �m not that strict. I believe that rules are to be followed and not to be questioned and everything has the right time to be done. I don �t deviate the class objective talking, telling stories or anything, but I include everything I feel they would like to talk about in my lessons.

I use everything they say (or try to) during my classes steps, so they are very attemptive and have lots of fun trying to identify the situations from which I took the examples or the topics.

I also include some nonsense and funny questions or topics, so the class normally is fun and they do enjoy it. I also use situations that happen during class, turning them into part of the explanation, examples or topics for conversation and/or debates.

In the first minutes of classes they come for 2 or 3 minutes of chatting, and then the class starts. If a student has an inappropriate behavior I just make a gesture to make him understand that he has to stay in class to talk to me before leaving.

I don �t give a lecture but ask some questions:

- Is your behavior appropriate?
- Does it help you or the others learn?
- What will you do about it?
- What can I expect from now on?
- Do we have a deal?

Normally it solves the problem, if it doesn �t,  I just call his parents and they talk to him. And in 99% of the cases I never have problems with the same student again. In 1% of the cases I ask parents to come to school and bring the kid. So we discuss the matter and it �s solved anyway.

Normally what works is:

- They respect me because I also respect them. I have never screamed or called them names.
- They deal with deadlines because I never do anything with delay;
- They always keep their promises because I always do exactly what I tell I �ll do;
- They don �t mess up classes because they know I will always help them;
- They pay attention because they know I won �t give them the fish, they have to learn how to fish;
- They enjoy the classes because I pay particular attention to every student and prepare classes using what they like;
- The classes are "student-centered" so they have to participate most of the time (equally) and have just very few time left to fool around or to talk about extra-class subjects.

Out of the classroom or out of the school we talk friendly, tell jokes and gossip a little bit.

If I see a student is different than usual (sad, distant, bored, etc... ) I �ll also ask to talk to him after class to see what is happening. If they miss a class I �ll contact them to see what happened and if I can help in some way.

It works. At least for me.

Hope it helps!

Have a good weekend.

13 Nov 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Zailda
Thank you for your super nice, friendly and objective answer. I wouldn �t explain the same thing with more suitable words. That �s it.
Love, friendship and.... obviously... work
This is your best sentence:
" They deal with deadlines because I never do anything with delay"
If they have work to do, they have to do it; if a teacher goes to a class and doesn �t know what to do or, if by any chance, some kind of "disaster" happens, then we do have lots of trouble, coming back to the point of the class.
So, a fair, tender relationship and lots of objective work... I would say _ it usually works.
Thanks, Zailda
linda

14 Nov 2009     

meuge
Argentina

Zailda.... wise words...Thumbs Up 

14 Nov 2009     

lamyaa
Egypt

that �s perfect zailda ,

as for me i try to befrend my students by being kind n helpful ..Ss can sense the teacher and they know if u really love them and care about them, it mkes a difference ..sometimes my colleagues re surprised that my supersize boys are so benign when i am in the class:)) coz most of the othe teacers just shout at Ss all the  time   ...i dont ...my advice is try  to knowur students then u �d know wh they act in cetain ways n u can gain their respect if u show hem u can solve problems for them or help in any way

14 Nov 2009     

alkwassir
Yemen

Add to what is mentioned, I �d like to show some interesting facts for being a good teacher and gaining respect and success of your learner.

Please refer to this page where it is quoted:

Best Wishes

SmileSmile

14 Nov 2009