Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > duration of english classes    

duration of english classes

snejankaaa
Bulgaria

duration of english classes

Hello,Dear Teachers!!! Greetings from Bulgaria and me!!!! Today I �m interested in the duration of your english classes per week. In my country - Bulgaria the students learn English 2 school hours per week in secondary education. They begin to learn English in the 2nd grade/class/.In the most schools the English language is a part of the general subjects/ not in language schools/. What about in your countries? I �m a teacher in vocational secondary school and my students learn also foreign language of the specialty. Please, tell me more about foreign language learning in your country.

15 Nov 2009      

Nuria08
Spain

Hi!

In Spain, students have 3 hours of English every week. The foreign languages they are taught depend on the secondary school they go to. They usually learn English or French, but sometimes, they are also taught German or Italian in elective subjects. I was teaching threshold German for a while.

Have a nice weekend!

15 Nov 2009     

snejankaaa
Bulgaria

Thank you, Nuria08!!!!

15 Nov 2009     

mariaelaine
Malta

In Malta students have 6 lessons each lasting 45 min.

15 Nov 2009     

Denisa
Romania

In Romania it �s the same as in your country(as we neighbours...) - English is taught 2 hours per week in secondary schools...Only our students begin the study of a foreign language(mainly English, but there is also French, German...) in the 3rd grade.
Hugs from your neighbour,
Denisa
BTW: Where do you live? I mean what town? I �m from Giurgiu, right on the border with your country..

15 Nov 2009     

nadin235
Russian Federation

In Russia our students have classes from the second form two hours a week, from the fifth form three hours. But there are some forms where kids have 6 hours a week. The duration of the lesson is 40 minutes.

15 Nov 2009     

Moon22
United Arab Emirates

I like your topic Snejanka  :)

In the UAE , students learn English from grade one. They have 6 classes in a school week which means 6 classes in five days each class= 45 minutes and this year the class = 50 minutes ..I think the duration is suitable and helps the students to have an acceptable language by the end of high school

English is the only foreign language that we learn in the UAE in the government schools and I have no idea about the private ones ..

In addition we teach English as a general subject as you mention not as a language..

Finally, I believe that having 2 hours a week is not enough in your countries and students may not use English properly if they didn �t have the chance to practice it ! what do you think?

15 Nov 2009     

Morrisons Eyes
France

In France, kids have 3 to 4 hours of English per week when they enter the "coll�ge" (around 12 yrs-old) up to the end of their school years (around 18). But I teach in a vocational secondary school too and there, kids only have 2 hours per week (far too little in my opinion).

15 Nov 2009     

snejankaaa
Bulgaria

Thanks to : Nadin 235 ; Denisa / my neighbour/; Mariaelaine ; Denisa,I live in Samokov town, near the capital city Sofia.It is too far from Rouse and Giurgiu for about 300km and more. My town is situated in Rila mountain - the highest of the Balkan penincula.Greetings from Bulgaria!!! Last month I was in Romania for 3 days - Bukuresti,Sinaja and ............ I like the tour so much.Maybe next year again......

15 Nov 2009     

snejankaaa
Bulgaria

Thanks again to :Morrisons Eyes and Moon22 Two school hours per week is really not enough to teach and to learn foreign languages. But my students learn two foreign languages English and Deutsch or Russian and through the last two school years they learn foreign language of specialty that supports general language learning. But my students have the right to learn other general subjects in English. That �s why I �m Geography teacher in English too. This classes are very important becouse they include different word stock and rich the students vocabulary, I think.

15 Nov 2009     

vardaki
Cyprus

Hi friends!!!

Here in Cyprus we start the English lesson in Primary school at the age of 9. I teach almost all lessons in my class! The duration of the English lesson is 40 minutes 2 times the week.
So, unfortunately, all pupils go extra English lessons in the afternoon and this cost too much...
 Have a nice day.
 A.V.

15 Nov 2009     

1    2    Next >