Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Ignore or block    

Ignore or block

PhilipR
Thailand

Ignore or block

Hi all, I was wondering what you �d think of putting an Ignore or Block button next to a member �s avatar (if technically possible), or take a (75%?) majority vote to expel users. Repeat offenders who keep posting stolen materials and/or spam the forum with nonsense shouldn �t get away with this. I can see it �s getting on everyone �s nerves.

19 Nov 2009      

alien boy
Japan

I thought there was already a policy in place for Victor to evict repeat offenders?
or are you suggesting an automated alternative so that Victor doesn�t have to do all the work?
That may cause a few problems ... like who is eligible to vote  - just thinking about differences of opinion amongst moderators about worksheets doesn�t make them a reasonable group as sole arbiters (for these decisions)... there is as much infighting amongst them as anyone else here...

Nice idea, but it may be impractical unless Victor authorises �forum� or �site� moderators as his deputies to handle this sort of thing. I know I wouldn�t object to his doing that because it�s his site & I respect his opinions & viewpoint. As such I would also, by extension, respect his choice of deputies.

Cheers,
AB

19 Nov 2009     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Hi

There is a practical issue that we have to consider: even if you expel a user he/she can always log in again with another name, another avatar and another email address. This way it is almost impossible to stop them from coming.

Greetings from sunny Portugal

19 Nov 2009     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Also if someone makes an honest mistake they shouldn �t have a stigma attatched to them!

I thought only plagerisim wasn �t allowed, and I assumed for legal reasons... It turns out if any part of your WS contains (even referenced) unoriginal material then it �s not allowed. I can �t understand why.
We are supposed to write our own texts apparently.. we can not adapt something from somewhere else into the form of a lesson.
Can someone explain to me why this is?

19 Nov 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

So we �re not allowed to use an original text, even when we add our own activities, eg. comprehension questions?

19 Nov 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

But if that IS the case, how come songs are ok? Confused

19 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

We are allowed to use texts BUT we must make our own activities! It is not enough to write two questions at the bottom of a story taken from somewhere...

Geez, why are people making things more complicated than they are??

*waves to colibrita* We can use songs if we make our own activities with it.

19 Nov 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Thank, Zora! Phew! coz i �ve got  a stonking w/s in the pipeline (modesty aside!)

19 Nov 2009     

Moon22
United Arab Emirates

I agree with Manuel...

if somebody wants to steal worksheets , they will do that in any nick or name or email.. but the best thing is that Victor can easily delete the stolen worksheet with the points :S

I have a question that always came to my mind.. who are the moderators in this site.. I mean are they members of the site? the members with the highest points or what ..?

and about writing a text and making activities about it.. i think there is no harm to take a picture or a text and creating your own questions to make it useful for teachers in this beautiful site .. this is my opinion Smile

19 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

@Moon

The only true "moderator" is Victor. He is the only one that can officially warn, ban, remove topics, move topics, remove worksheets, or re-instate them.

The site does not have "real moderators" per say. The only function that we moderators have here on the site, is to review worksheets to see if they have been copied or taken directly from another source.

Anyone is allowed to help out others. In fact, there are members here who don �t have 1000 points and they have been around longer than newer members who are so-called "moderators."

19 Nov 2009     

Moon22
United Arab Emirates

Thanks Zora for replying my question ..
I think that I have a clearer idea about the site..
In addition.. it is good that Victor is always around to give arning, bands, remove topics and stolen worksheets ..but I believe that if some of the old members that were in this site from the beginning, can also share and remove stolen worksheets, because they might see them before Victor.. and this would help him alot :)
overall, there are good rules in this site and keeping them is the thing that makes it a great website :)

19 Nov 2009