Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > Re: need your opinion    

Re: need your opinion

_babz
Canada

Hug

(I know were joking and all....but this is still a serious issue...that must be resolved cause users are losing points)

ps: English isn �t my first language either (but it is my strongest)...I speak four...so I sometimes get mixed up as well..

22 Nov 2009     

Nuria08
Spain

You are right, Silvana. That �s what I told Pastanaga to do, too. She should write to Victor and ask for her worksheet and her points to be restored. Otherwise, ALL the worksheets with pictures from the net should be removed, which would be ridiculous and would mean the end of the page.
I have the feeling that everyday there �s a brand new rule in the page, and old worksheets are removed because of new rules. Is that fair? Do we really need so many rules? This is a share-your-work page, guy, let �s be free!

22 Nov 2009     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

@silvanija, i think thats one of the problems here, you are stating that as far as you remember it was ok to use the copyrighted picture as long as the exercises are the teacher �s, but that  is not in the rules and people here are using the rules according what they think, remember or guess. as far as ive noticed, rules keep changing, so we need guidelines of specifics so new and old memebers can use them before reporting a ws or making one, so that no one waste their time making a ws that will be useless. another thing, i think is not fair that after 1000 member downloaded your work you lose your points, and what about those members who will use your work?

22 Nov 2009     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

@Nuria08:  Just a little correction: Old wss are being removed in case they are copied from somewhere else (and this is a rule stated by Victor). So it is not true they are being judged by new rules.

I personally think there is no rpoblem with pictures from the net, but we should not use pics with watermarks, or the whole sets. Lately there were reported wss with whole sets from boogles and mes-english (remember the monkeys?). I recently read an article about copyrights and there was written the providers may get into troubles if they have copyrighted material on their sites without the approval of the copyright owners. And I also one of the members informing us she wrote to some site if she could use their images for her wss and she has been refused. Unfortunately I don �t remember who was it:-(
So this is really hard to decide.

Btw, I realized the biggest fighters against removal are people, whose wss were sometimes removed for some reason. This should not be about healing their wounds.

Let �s wait for Victor. I �m sure he will have his go on this topic.

Michaela

22 Nov 2009     

Nuria08
Spain

Hi Michaela!

When I mentioned old worksheets being removed because of new rules, I was referring to Pastanaga �s worksheet. It was removed today, after 1000 downloads, because the picture was taken from a book. The activities were her own, but it was still removed and she was quite worried about it.

As for fighters against removal, I am one, but only if I consider that the removal is unfair - which is the case of Pastanaga �s worksheet.

By the way, I �ve never been reported and none of my worksheets has ever been removed, so no wounds to be healed here!

22 Nov 2009     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear nuria,
in that case you should write "old Pastanaga �s wss" and not in general. As I wrote already I don �t remember this particular ws, as there were huge amount of stolen and copied wss yesterday. And even old wss may be removed if they are copied or stolen. That is the ONLY rule applied to them and I myself reported several wss from last year copied from net. I �m used to check other wss of the reported user and these particular wss were from ego4u and englischhilfen. So no matter how old they were, they had to go.

It is not easy to decide and if any user think his/her ws was removed unjustly, they can always write to Victor.

22 Nov 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I can �t imagine an ESL teacher without good grammar and vocabulary books (and a good dictionary as well), so we may have plenty of books and material to use without registering here or looking anywhere else on the net.

The best thing about this site is: all the work (or at least the most of it) is produced by teachers, and not by book designers or publishing houses, that may have different ideas from teachers who are every day in contact with students and their learning stages and pace.

It was a great feeling of freedom when I realized that from that time on I won �t be stuck at the way books explain and ilustrate the lessons anymore, and will be capable of producing customized material that is exactly what my students are in need of.

In my POV if we start copying books we will just be going backwards, returning to the starting point. Books are a good teaching resource, but this site is built with thousands of teachers � POV on teaching & learning, and I believe no publishing house staff in the world would ever have such a great variety of ways of teaching the same subject, and no book could contain all types of approaches we have here at this site.

So I see no reason for copying published material, since we are supposed to upload only our creation here. Using a good picture taken from a book won �t spoil the entire ws, and if you feel someone is infringing copyrighted laws, we are here to share and help, then it will be better to send the member a PM than to report the whole wss as copied.

I want to remind you that Victor clearly stated a new rule on the forum, and according to him "old worksheets can only be reported if they are copied". Using a picture with watermark or taken from a book doesn �t turn the whole ws into a copy, so it is not to be reported for this reason. Only if it �s a whole copy (and please, provide the direct link or the book �s page).

Victor �s rule was clear enough regarding to old wss: let them stay and start from now on. If you have something against a member here, just send him an email message to clear things up, don �t involve the site or the reporting page in your personal matters.

I was bothered by the old wss against the rules, and felt they were using place that could be better used with new and fair material, but since the site �s owner doesn �t share the same feeling, why should I be "more catholic than the Pope"?

Have a nice week.

22 Nov 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3