Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching with songs - suggestions    

Teaching with songs - suggestions

zailda
Brazil

Teaching with songs - suggestions

Hi!

The school year is coming to an end in Brazil and I �m already preparing some things for next year (starting in February)!!! I also want to share some ideas and suggestions with you and your ideas and suggestions are very welcomed here.

Before listening the song

- include a short quiz on the author (let the students guess who he is) and his dicography, give the students his songs titles and a short paragraph of the lyrics, invite the students to guess which song you are going to present. You can also present the topic on the song and introduce it with a short debate on the topic for advanced students.

While listening

- gap-fillings are always a good idea because they improve listening skills, but I suggest you include the missing words in alphabetical order for elementary & intermediate levels (depending on their skills) to avoid too much frustration if they can �t fill in correctly.

- for beginners it �s also a good idea print the lyrics, divide the class in group or in pairs, cut the lyrics in paragraphs and give each group or pair a copy to organize while listening.

- after this activity students read the lyrics to check.

After listening

- Vocabulary or grammar topics - divide the class into 3 or 4 groups, give each group a copy of the lyrics. Each group has to identify and explain a certain topic, providing examples and original sentences using it. (adjectives, verb tenses, articles, etc.). Each group teaches its part for the whole class.

- Silent reading & comprehension questions - give each student a copy of the lyrics, they read and answer comprehension or vocabulary questions.

- Debates on the topics found in the lyrics - introduce the topic in the ss � life and ask questions for debate or conversation classes.

At the end, of course, organize a chorus and have fun singing aloud with the students.

Additional tips:

- burn the video so the students can also see their favorite singers;

- provide a CD with the mp3 file, it �s easier to understand;

- give links for students to prepare a research paper on the singer �s life or dicography;

- ask the students to prepare a poster with the singer and his autobiography / discography;

- at the beginning of the semester, pass a list for students to write their favorite singers and groups and also the songs they �d like to learn;

- send them the song ringtone by email.

- prepare a competition, divide the class into groups or pairs according to their music taste, each group prepares a research on its fave, the best will be taught.

(Of course I choose some of these steps, I don �t want to overdo it!)

More ideas are also needed, I do want to start next semester in a musical way!

Have a nice day!

25 Nov 2009      

JulietaVL
Mexico

I appreciate this post a lot my friend. Thank you=))

25 Nov 2009