Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I wonder......    

I wonder......

Greek Professor
Greece

I wonder......

How much does it cost to say a simple thank you?......
Unhappy.....Ermm.....

27 Nov 2009      

Nebal
Lebanon

Dear Prof,

Well, honestly speaking, at first I wasn �t used to leaving comments on downloaded worksheets, thinking that it �s time-comsuming. However, when I experienced the real joy others � comments brought me , and how their encouragement words fed my ego, I never ever left a downloaded worksheet without a comment. I felt like they deserve my attention and thanks for all the efforts and days that took them to make very useful and fruitful worksheets.

Thanks for everyone here that made my teaching career much easier and permanently bright.

Hugs,
Nebal

27 Nov 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

I hear you I hear you!

If people have time to take they have time to say thank you, that �s how I see it. "i didn �t have time" yadayadayada, blah blah blah

(I imagine you �re referring to the very poor ratio of downloads to thank you notes)

Or are we just teaching the language, not the manners that go with the culture???!!!

27 Nov 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Think of it this way, those of you who can �t be bothered.....

You �re sitting in the teachers � room at school, and somebody gives you a copy of their much-worked-upon w/s. Would you take it and not say thank you? Would you really?

Take the time just to say thank you. PLEASE. You don �t need to stroke someone �s ego. That �s not what this is about.

Right, getting down from my high horse...

27 Nov 2009     

silvanija
Lithuania

There are many members who collected 30 points necessary to become a premium member getting 1, 2 or 3 points without any thank yous for their uploaded wss. They do not know how it feels to be praised and thanked and maybe they even do not  realize that there is such a  possibility. A "comment" sounds more serious than just a "thank you". Hope they will get used to that sooner or later.

Thank you to all of you for your warm comments and useful contributions.

27 Nov 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Thank you for bringing this issue once again to the forum dear Effie! Although I haven �t spent as much time as I would like to here with you all, whenever I can I take an hour to scroll the new contributions and I can �t help feeling shocked every time I see a worksheet with downloads and no/almost no comments. Yesterday I downloaded a worksheet close to midnight Spanish time. It had 40 points but not a single comment! And that �s just to give an example. Even those who are fortunate to receive comments, the percentage is usually very low, between 20 to 25 percent of the number of downloads. The only time the number gets higher is when you upload a listening exercise and must send the audiofiles by mail. In that case, comments rise to 50 percent.

Like you all, I always feel special when you leave me a note. I know we �re all in a hurry these days, but where are our principles? As I have said many times before, when you take something from someone, the least you can do is say "Thank you". A very, very basic principle of good manners and education.

I must go now. Next thursday I �m going to defend my thesis and I feel that I have forgotten everything. Cross your fingers for me, pleeeeease.

Hugs,
mena

27 Nov 2009     

frenchfrog
France

When I download a worksheet, the member who made it:

- saves me time
- saves me money
- gives me some inspiration to create a new worksheet

> 3 reasons to say something or give a smile:

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

27 Nov 2009     

anamb7
Argentina

100% I agree with you Mena and by the way, I �m sure you will remember everything as soon as you sit your exam because you are a hardworking person.
Good luck and just relax, try not to panic knowing you did your best to pass and God will do the rest. Be positive!!!
Hugs
Ana

27 Nov 2009     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

every time i get a thks it makes me work on a better ws to help my fellow teachers... and i know how you feel i have had ws with 150 downloads and just 4 thanks, i guess we have to work in our manners not just our english.

27 Nov 2009     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

I am guilty of this, I love to get thanks but I always forget to say thank you! 

I never thought about it before.. I´ll try to remember to say thanks in the future! 

27 Nov 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

I�m with you guys... a "thank you" note shows manners.

Mena: GOOD LUCK! 

27 Nov 2009     

1    2    Next >