Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A suggestion    

A suggestion

Mariethe House
France

A suggestion

I have been reading the recent posts , have heard the apologies of some, the complaints of others, the anger , even the rage of some others about this moderating question.
I am one of of the oldest in the community , one of the wisest? LOL  Not really but one sensitive and one with experience of the human sort!
I once had a ws removed because it was written in L1 . I did not care much about the removing of it But I did care about the way it was done and it DID affect me and HURT me!! 
At a time when we would sometimes rageously cross out a horrible mistake with red ink because it is an offence to us ,At this time ,we are fortunately advised to be extremely careful when dealing with it.... We are advised to point out the positive, we are advised to provide some help ,we are advised to CARE!
So, what �s my point? The words: STOLEN, COPIED, hurt! Some people who do copy are not very respectful but can �t we find other words to warn them? Is it an acceptable reaction to answer with disrespect and aggressiveness? Is it not possible to write a set warning: your worksheet seems to be a copy of.... Can you change it please? Can you send your own? If you want some help, you can.... If you don �t we will have to delete it. It is suspended for the moment

There �s a saying in French: " turn your toungue 7 times in your mouth before you speak" ( BTW if someone can give me an English equivalent I would be so happy!)

So that �s all for now folks. Have a nice week-end and don �t be aggressive in your answers! Smile

4 Dec 2009      

MarionG
Netherlands

I have a sticker saying: "Please engage brain before putting mouth in gear."
I am all for engaging brain and heart.........

4 Dec 2009     

debbie6
Canada

Think before you speak!

This has worked for me many times....

4 Dec 2009     

Zora
Canada

I think that we don �t need to use the words "Stolen or Copied." In the past, I have suggested "Taken" instead. It is a less harsh way of saying things.

Also, NOT everything is "taken" from others here. Their work might have been "taken" from another website or a book. It �s idea could have been "taken" from another source, etc.

See how subtle the wording is? Yet it offends few. I agree with Mariethe that we needn �t stoop to the levels of others and we are teachers who should try to be above the pettiness so often seen sometimes. (I know that sometimes we can �t help it... but we should at least try, no??)

I suggested using "Taken" instead of stolen or copied... It is more polite and I don �t think we need to be rude about things. It �s better just to say "Your worksheet has content that has been taken from another source."

4 Dec 2009     

Nessie33
Germany

Dear Mariethe,
your suggestion is really  wonderfull - the people do not need to be so agressive!! HugHeart
Have a nice weekend!!
Nessie33

4 Dec 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I understand your point of view Mariethe, but I think people here get angry at the
gall of those who blatantly steal.
Theft is theft. There �s  no two ways about it.

If a worksheet just looks like another �s, then I think we should react in nice way.

Tell this person that this looks very much like someone else �s work.

But why be nice to someone whole openly steals?
In my home, we grew up learning basic values. These values apply in society, in school and here at ESL.
If someone steals from a shop, the police wouldn �t say nicely, "whoa, it seems you have borrowed something that wasn �t yours."  Where I come from, a thief is arrested.
Theft is a crime in the big world and is a crime here too.

We, as teachers, have to have good basic values to give to our students or we �ll
end up with generations of kids who think it �s ok to steal if you can get away with it.

The world is not one big "buffet table". We can �t just take what isn �t ours.
I am overwhelmed with disappointment every time I see a teacher stealing from another at this site.
I don �t think thieves have deserved to be treated with kid gloves.

That �s just my opinion.
L

4 Dec 2009     

miss_yanis
Argentina

I agree with you Libertybelle, people who don �t care for others and cheat and steal from our family shouldn �t be treated nicely...

But I can also see Mariethe �s point of view: if a ws is not stolen, but it is in L1 for example (as hers) why should moderators be rude? I don �t think that case would apply to the first situation, I don �t think that person has commited such a terrible thing, I consider it �s only a mistake, and they should be warned nicely and politely, for that person can change his/her ws and send it back.

Kisses! and Have a nice weekend!

Miss Yanis 

4 Dec 2009     

Mariethe House
France

That �s my point: Are we talking about moderators or policewomen/ policemen?

Let us be honest : If we ( I am not really includedLOL) make such nice work, it �s because we find pleasure in doing it, we are experts ( not me!) at using the writer! Mind you I do enjoy making my ws even if I never seem to have the proper writer!! ( I used to work on open office and it was not really compatible with word!Now I have word 2007 and I still have a lot of problems! i must be hopeless!) But I do work hard, maybe harder than the ones who are so competent!

So why not consider the pleasure aspect in the making of the ws and not just the �hard work � all the time? Everyone is different ... Maybe some people do not feel the urgr to make nice ws and they are desperately in need of points that  will allow them to download some  ws they need!! I don �t consider it as serious theft but as some kind of petty theft but not really considerable!

Anyway we shall never agree on such matter! (At leastThis is something  we agree upon)LOL  And maybe this is why it comes up so often on the forum!!!!!

4 Dec 2009     

FroggyClaudine
France

Each time we upload a ws or a pps, the rules clearly appear about what is allowed and what is not. If someone does something wrong, this "politically correct" way of always underestimating things sometimes gets on my nerves.
Someone who drinks over the limit, takes his/her car, has an car crash and kills someone is nothing else that a murderer because he/she knew he/she shouldn �t have been driving. It �s the same here. If people are NICELY warned about what they shouldn �t do and do it, they cheat on everyone on the site and if they stole someone �s work, they stole it, they did not merely take it. I �m sorry to say that I have to disagree with you on this one Marie-The.

4 Dec 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

Taken, stolen, copied... Does it really matter? In this day and age, everything you put on the Internet seems to become public domain anyway. Now is that a good or a bad thing? Do we suffer financially if someone uploads dubious materials? I doubt it. Is our pride hurt? Probably. I guess the best way not to have your own stuff stolen or borrowed is not to upload at all.

Who would argue that open source software (e.g. Linux, OpenOffice) is a bad thing? Everybody gets free access and can edit as they please. Why not have a similar approach to wss? I agree with Mariethe that we shouldn �t always take things so seriously. I too feel there are sometimes too many moderators on the prowl with baton and pepper spray at the ready... ;-)

4 Dec 2009     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

I agree with Lisa and Silke, even thought I can see Mariethe �s point.
There are people who made a mistake, didn �t get the rules or something similar. But most of the people who upload wss from other members or other sites don �t do it just once. There are users who keep uploading ONLY stolen wss and why should we be polite to them, if they are nothing less than thieves?
Regards, Michaela

4 Dec 2009     

1    2    Next >