Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Grammar help! Like studying or like to study..    

Grammar help! Like studying or like to study..

Zora
Canada

By the way... It is correct to use both indistinctively ...or did you choose to ignore this post ...

setyarini
Indonesia

in Using English Grammar book by Betty Azar it is written there that there are no difference in meaning for some verbs when they use -Ing or to-inf. The verbs are :
1. Like
2. Love
3. hate
4. can �t stand
5. can �t bear
6. start
7. begin
8. continue

hope this little piece of information can help

regards

Setyarini

4 Dec 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Please!! I did not start a thread for the �natives � to feel I was trying to bring up the issue about natives and no-natives... So almaz
please do not say so as this is not true. You really are deviating this issue yourselves by acting as �offended � people! If you are happy to think and feel this way then do it. I know what I wanted to say and people who are not posting here have told me I �m clear.!

Btw, cheezels, I did NOt say that english native kids do not follow rules! WHy WHy are you trying to start a conflict out of this. I DID not say what you are implying!
Thank you!

4 Dec 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

YOU WROTE: I was trying to make you see that no-native speakers follow rules to use and learn the language.
The way you have written the sentence here implies that NO native speakers follow rules to use and learn the language.

What you MEANT to say was
"
I was trying to make you see that non native speakers follow rules to use and learn the language."

Aren �t you glad you have a native speaker like myself to help you out in these tricky times so that you can communicate effectively about what you are trying to say. A native speaker would never use the term no-native speaker... but you must have known that already, what with all of your perfect grammar knowledge.

For the record I personally do not differentiate between natives and non natives as being "best" teachers. There are outstanding and lousy examples in both groups. For more "natural" English then yes, a native speaker will always have the edge with the ear for what sounds right over wrong.

Goodnight all!

4 Dec 2009     

Zora
Canada

A direct quote that I �d like to rebuke:

"I am quite concerned with the fact that many teachers ask for grammar help (I �m one of them) and I often see �native speakers � replying as if they knew more than the grammar rules that exist."

When one asks for help on this site, the people that answer DO know the grammar rules and a lot of times if they don �t they just say... "Well, in England..."and THAT is usually in response to an answer that contradicts what they have learned AND which most of the time is correct too. Because in most languages, there VARIOUS ways of saying the same thing.

Is "at the weekend" wrong compared to "on the weekend"? - No, it �s not.

Is "Has Tom got a car?" wrong compared to "Does Tom have a car?" - No, it �s not.

Is "rubber" wrong compared to "eraser". No, it �s not.

Is "I like to ski" wrong compared to "I like skiing." No, it �s not.

All the above are different ways to express the same concepts and perhaps people teaching these concepts should realise that before telling the rest of us that we are wrong or "talking off the top of our heads".

4 Dec 2009     

Mariethe House
France

I did notice that you spoke with a little Canadian accent! tststststs!LOL
Thank you for helping me so many times!! You were and still are there whenever I need it! Thank you my friend !

4 Dec 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

LOL! you still here!??

What a pitty you really keep on doing this.
Apparently your only reason for posting and posting and actually translating my words as YOU want to hear them, is only to have an argument. I never said native teachers do not know rules, I said it �s annoying when you all come up with answers like: It �s the same! there is no difference where there is a grammatical reason.
If you want to keep up your good reputation, please stop accusing me and deviating my post.. because you only keep comfirming you are very unfriendly...and.. maybe do not know much!..Approve
thanks GOd this is gone!..otherwise you would not stop saying I said what you wanted me to say and think and imply and and and ....etc..

4 Dec 2009     

Zora
Canada

Look who �s deviating?! You started the thread, now deal with the fact that you have managed to insult the native teachers here. Most of us do not say things like "because it is that way." If you don �t like the answer then too bad - but sometimes things like this are the way they are for no other reason than over time, they have become that way. Whether through popular usage or otherwise.

Now, do I need to pull out my Grammar bookS (since I have at least 3) and quote from three that  I have that it is indeed the same "ing / to inf" when using certain verbs? Because you know, that was what the original thread was about!!!

@Mariethe... Me? An accent? No way... Tongue well, maybe a tiny one... lol

4 Dec 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Samantha you are insulting.  Learn to phrase and read your words before posting.  I am not saying this because I am a native speaker, I am saying this as a human being.  What Zora has just stated is correct.  Furthermore, I would agree with Zora that over time things have become that way.  By the way, I probably have the same grammar books as Zora.

4 Dec 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

I did not insult ANYONE! that �s the way YOU want to make it look!
If you have the same grammar books as Zora it maybe is because there are groups here who support each other in whatever they say!
I dont � think I �ve been badly taught and I do believe there is a grammar explanation more than saying: "I �m a native speaker and it �s the same, there is not difference in meaning!.."
maybe Giovanni you are saying so just because you are �friends � and can �t stand being told that you are wrong!!

6 Dec 2009     

< Previous   1    2