Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Just clarifying...    

Just clarifying...

Lana.
Ireland

Just clarifying...

Hey folks,

here is something to cheer us all up:

I just want to clarify the rules for uploading worksheets, because I among my own worksheets have some with both texts and pictures taken from www. Should I delete them?

Let me put down those rules and you just please tell me which one is wrong:

..................................................................................................................................
1. Members are not allowed to contribute text found online. All texts/stories must be written by the author of the worksheet.

2. Members are not allowed to use in their worksheets pictures/images found online. All images/pictures must be drawn and coloured by the author of the worksheet.  

3. Members are not allowed to upload worksheets containing grammar/vocab exercises found online. All grammar/vocab exercises must be created by the author of the worksheet.

4. Members are allowed to use text found online on two (2) conditions: 1. Provide link in their worksheet to the original source and 2. Add at least one exercise to this text (vocab or grammar). This latter must be created by the author.

5. Members are allowed to use text found online on two (2) conditions: 1. Provide link in their worksheet to the original source and 2. Add at least one exercise to this text (vocab or grammar). This latter can be taken from online.

6.  Members are allowed to use pictures/images found online from absolutely any website on the condition that they add to the worksheet an exercise to go along with this image. The exercise must be made entirely by the author.

7. Members are allowed to use pictures/images found online from absolutely any website on the condition that they add to the worksheet an exercise to go along with this image. The exercise can also be taken from another website.

8. Members are allowed to use in their worksheets grammar/vocab exercises found online.

9. Members are allowed to use in their worksheets grammar/vocab exercises found online providing they remove the cells and replace them with dotted lines.

10. Members are allowed to use in their worksheets grammar/vocab exercises found online providing they supply additional material that they created themselves: image/text/puzzle.

11. Worksheets must NOT contain a single piece of work found online. (Alternatively: a worksheet cannot consist of work solely found online).

12. Worksheets can contain work found online providing it is well balanced with the author �s personal work.
.................................................................................................................................

Thank you for your attention! Thumbs Up  If I remember more rules I �ll write them later.

5 Dec 2009      

Tatyana83
Armenia

very strict rules...:) We can �t use images and text from WWW...
IT �s INHUMAN ShockedPig

5 Dec 2009     

Mariethe House
France

@ Lana!     LOLLOLLOLLOL

5 Dec 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

I �m not TELLING people, I �m confirming with all of you, it makes all the difference...Wink

5 Dec 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Numbers 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 11 are wrong... the alternative version of no 11 is correct. point 10 is a little questionable... especially as it contradicts point 3... so it would also be ruled improper if no 3 is correct!

With point 6 it is also necessary to check the conditions of use of the images. An example would be to use an existing flash card from MES Printables as the base for an exercise.

You could amend it to read:

6.  Members are allowed to use pictures/images found online on the condition that they add to the worksheet an exercise to go along with this image. The exercise must be made entirely by the author and the images should not be used in a way that contradicts the principles of �Fair Use � or break usage agreements.

You are evil... Ouch
Regards,
AB

5 Dec 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

AB  - why am I evil? Cry I hope it �s a joke.

Thanks for your thoughts, though...

5 Dec 2009     

eng789
Israel

You are not evil - I think the rules are a bit over-powering that �s all.
How about

1.  Thou shall not steal from other members.
2.  Thou shall not take materials or cliparts from sites that forfid it.
3.  Thou shall use only English on your wss.
4.  Thou shall upload original flashcards only if they are in sets of 6.
5.  All wss must come with a relevent ESL activity.
6.  Thou must ask permission from members of the site -if you want to use there format for
     your ws.

Did I miss anything?  I was trying to get to 10.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Hugs
Barbara 

5 Dec 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Barbara - funny. LOL I think 1 and 6 can be combined or at least be placed together.

Guys, those rules - I just summarasied all the versions I �ve heard recently in hope that we will eliminate the absolutely wrong ones and so that it will become clear once and for all what is OK and what �s not when creating a worksheet.

I think we need clear guidelines to avoid brokenhearted threads from people who thought their work was fine until they got the message that the worksheet was deleted.

As far as I understand, moderators also do not follow the same rules, while they should. I for instance still don �t know whether it �s OK to use texts/articles found online or not. I thought it was OK before, but the rules seem to have changed...

5 Dec 2009     

ARaquelSP
Portugal

Hi, Lana.

I think that if you write the source of the text and then write some exercises about it (questions, vocabulary and so on), then it �s ok to upload texts from other websites. I have already done it myself and so far nobody told me anything about it, so I suppose it �s fine.

Have a good weekend.
Raquel

5 Dec 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Hi Lana!

Yes, it was in jest... Wink

I just think it was great that you included all the contradictory �rules � that are being bandied around by the membership!

Barbara has it down with those 6, but really we need 1 more... that way we can have 1 for each day of the week!

I know...

7. Thou shalt not claim another �s work as thine own, for that is the sin of plagiarism and the penalty for such sin is banishment (or some such thing)

My understanding of using online (& any resource, for that matter) would be to cite the origins of the work & then add your own exercises &/or additional commentary. there has never been a rule that you can�t utilise resources... just that you can�t plagiarise & that you must also include a reasonable amount of your own �original � work.

Regards,
AB

5 Dec 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

OK then, let me restate following from everyone �s posts and to finalise this:

- Using text found online is allowed provided that the author adds the link to the original source and an exercise or exercises of his/her own making;

- Uploading worksheets containing grammar/vocab exercises taken from online is not allowed;

- Using images found online is allowed provided that: they do not come from websites that explicitly forbid it; they are followed by an exercise/exercises of the author �s making;

- English is the only language allowed to be used for the worksheets on this site;

- Using layout from another worksheet of this site can only be done with the permission of the ower of that worksheet;

- It is entirely forbidden to upload someone else �s work as your own;

- There can be no monopoly over colour or layout sources widely available to all www/Microsoft Office users; if there is one member who uses a popular layout a lot it doesn �t mean that another member cannot use this layout just as much; 

How does that sound?
Clear and fair?

5 Dec 2009     

1    2    Next >