Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > IDEAS    

IDEAS

nite
Spain

IDEAS

Morning teachers!

After having my first oficial start as a teacher in a primary school, I would like to share with you a couple of ideas my neurone made up for me :)

RIDDLES

With older students, I hung a laminated sheet on the wall and posted there a riddle. I also hung an "answers" envelope. They had to work out what was the question and think about the answer. Then, in a small piece of paper they wrote down the answer, their name, the date and the time (I registered it as well in a paper - so that we avoided cheaters-.) At the end of the week I checked all the answers and the student who had come with the right answer and before the rest, was given a badge. A new riddle was posted to start again.

I did it every week and they loved it. They chased me all over the school asking me to be registered first or to give them some clues.

BEHAVIOUR BINGO

I did it with a particular large group I found a bit hard to keep under control sometimes.

I made blank 3x3 bingo cards and gave one to each student. I told them that only the kids being quiet, raising their hands to talk, doing their homework, etc would get a stamp on their bingo everyday. The ones completing the bingo, would be given an award (a badge). There was a sudden general change of actitude ;)

Hope you like it! Have a nice day

Anna

12 Dec 2009      

Eryn
Spain

Great ideas! I think I �ll try the first one, since most of my students are adults and I �m sure they �ll love it.
 I thinl it can also work with them, not only with children. Thank you very much! Thumbs Up

12 Dec 2009     

serenity light
Kuwait

I like your ideas
both are fantastic
thanks

12 Dec 2009     

juliag
Japan

Sounds like a really good idea. Could you give us an example of the kind of riddle you used to make it clearer for me, please?

12 Dec 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi
For the month of December, I �m doing speak English tickets. I made a candy wreath that I hung in my classroom and told the students that one of them would win.
At the beginning of each class, they get 3 tickets on which they write their name and group. When I hear them speak French, they lose a ticket. If they make an extra effort to speak English, they get bonus tickets. At the end of the class, whoever has tickets gets to put them in a bag for the draw. They must really want to win the wreath because I don �t hear a lot of French these days.

It got me to wonder what I could give them in January/February to keep this thing going.

I love your riddle activity. Where did you take them? Are they illustrations or sentences?

12 Dec 2009     

pauguzman
Argentina

Hi! Manon: I have done the same with my group of 10 year-old children. each time they spoke in English or  made an effort to do it I gave them a star( I printed them from mes-english). When they had 5 starts I gave them one of  Alenka �s minibooks... they really enjoyed reading these minibooks!!! and they didn �t know they were doing extensive reading!! 

12 Dec 2009