Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Look at this email that I ´ve just received.    

Look at this email that I ´ve just received.

Alejandra27
Argentina

LOL ! and crazy!..... well we are kind of genis coz we understand english and we can read it! will  this work in spanish or in any other language?

14 Dec 2009     

alien boy
Japan

It doesn ´t work with pictographic orthography (e.g. kanji) because the mechanism for understanding the language is a little different...

It does, however seem to work on any ´spelling ´ oriented orthography because of the way the brain actually interprets the data. Unless you ´re just learning an alphabet you actually register groups of letters, not just individual/one at a time letters - that would make reading very slow...

Cheers,
AB

14 Dec 2009     

rosaria13
Italy

I can read it easily, too!!  I think it ´s not difficult at all!

14 Dec 2009     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

Yes, great piece.

Since this is a professional forum though, I would suggest leaving out the ´spam ´ sections. such as ´55 out of 100 ´ is just designed to rouse interest. Other forms of this kind of gullible introduction include ´IQ ´ and "intelligent ´. It ´s really only meant to increase the viral nature of this thing.

And the word ´genius ´ should never have been thrown around. Again it ´s just put in to get it passes around the e-mail traps successfully.

Here is some credible information about this piece:

1. misspelled material can only be read by people who are already good readers.

2. The way a good reader figures out the scrambled words above is that while they can rely upon their good whole word knowledge, they are also relying on their knowledge of single letter and letter combination sounds to figure out these words. Thus, they are able to rearrange the letters in their minds.

3. This paragraph has been widely circulated on the Internet since 2003, and it is still referred to, either as a point of interest or to defend inconsistent (poor) spelling, or choosing not to teach it. Is it because it rings of the truth that it makes scholars and educators cringe? Hardly. Among other things, there was no such research, and the words in the passage don’t follow the rule of “only the first and last words matter.”  It’s a myth. It is fluent readers who can figure out this highly predictable text – and the path to fluent reading includes a firm foundation in the sounds represented by letters and their spelling .1

14 Dec 2009     

teresaraiva
Portugal

Hi terhe!

I hvae tired to raed tihs msesgae but it is so dficflut!!!! I cnat udsnetrnad it!!!!!!!!!! Confused

I ´m so pzuzeld!!!

Cerhes!

14 Dec 2009     

flaviatl
Argentina

Darryl Cameron,
Thank you so much for your comment. I totally agree with you but I couldn ´t have explained it better.

I strongly mistrust any email with this kind of information but doesn ´t provide a reliable source where one can check it and read more about the subject.

Anyway, I believe that the person who wanted to share this with us meant well.

14 Dec 2009     

Alicia del c.
Argentina

LOL MY FRIEND!!! JAJAJAJ VERY INTERETING!!!

14 Dec 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Actually Darryl, it ´s somewhat older than that as a phenomoenon ... I remember reading something very similar to this when I first studied psychology back in 1983...

It doesn ´t just apply to good or bad spellers. The key is to have a vocabulary & familiarity with words in context. If a misspelled word is an unknown word it becomes much more difficult to ´unscramble ´ automatically. There are often phonemic rules that will ´kick in ´ for a native speaker thereby creating a plausible, if uncertain, word as an option in fairly close to natural reading time.

Then there is also the case where the reader needs to have internalised the grammar of a language. So, for example, I can read German quite comfortably, and could read a scrambled sentence in German... however I wouldn ´t be able to unscramble words that I don ´t already know (with any degree of certainty) & nor would I be able to easily distinguish between words with similar spelling where syntax has a direct impact upon the correct placement within the sentence. My reading time would be lengthened quite dramatically in this case!

It is actually an interesting exercise in how the human brain can interpret orthography (despite the fake  ´Cambridge Test´ justification!!!). It wouldn´t surprise me if aftab can provide some links to actual studies related to this. If I get time I´ll add a few links later on.

Cheers,
AB

14 Dec 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Children start reading by "letters" and sounds.
Later they read by "word pictures" which means they recognize
whole words.
Because most sentences have a logical pattern, we can skim and scan
and, to a great extent,  guess sentences without focusing on the single letters which make up a word.

That is how most people learn to read.

14 Dec 2009     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

I think the "55" thing is a little suspect, I ´ve seen this loads of times and I ´ve never met anyone who couldn ´t read it.

Although I have a friend with sever dyslexia who recognizes words as shapes only, I ´m not sure if this would work for her.

14 Dec 2009     

< Previous   1    2