Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > hi    

hi

sarahgriffin
Ireland

hi

Hi there

I �m writing a report on the quality of English in Irish schools and I �m looking for some help with one particular part.

I want to talk about how students write almost as if they are speaking.  How a lot of students are writing �gonna � instead of going to.  However I don �t knowe how to word this gramatically?

For example, if I wanted to say they mix up too and to, I would say they are not familiar with homophones.  But how do I say the above in a gramatical way?

thanks

20 Dec 2009      

baiba
Latvia

Hi Sarah

I think it is mixing formal and informal style, spoken and written language because, as you know, there are huge differences.

20 Dec 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi,

You could say that they are writing phonetically, instead of writing standardized English. For example, when people speak quickly, they hear "gonna" instead of "going to."

Good luck,

Carla

20 Dec 2009     

sarahgriffin
Ireland

thanks baiba and Carla.  I think its definitely a mix up between phonetics and standard English.  Thanks!!

20 Dec 2009     

zailda
Brazil

There �s a difference between written and spoken language in L1 too, so it �s important to point it out to students so they may realize the differences. Most of times they are not aware about the differences in their own language, so it �s important to teach them that every language is spoken differently from the way it �s written.

20 Dec 2009