Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Compare two countries    

Compare two countries

ELOJOLIE274
France

Compare two countries

Hi,
i �d like some insights on these two sentences:
you can say "Australia is 13 times bigger than France",
but I have some trouble choosing between those two sentences: "South Africa is twice as big as France" and "South Africa is 2 times bigger than France". According to me, they have the same meaning, so I can use both of them, DO YOU AGREE???
I �m creating a game for my students and and don �t want to write any mistakes...

Thank you for your help!

29 Dec 2009      

FroggyClaudine
France

Hello,
I think "twice" as big is right whereas two times bigger seems wrong. Two times is irregular and becomes twice, that �s why I �d go for this solution and not the other one.

29 Dec 2009     

SaraMariam
United States

Hello Elojolie. As far as I know both are correct. Twice is possibly more common in British (and Australian) English, whereas "two times" is more common in US English. 

29 Dec 2009     

ELOJOLIE274
France

thanks girls! it �s just that I could find both sentences on the internet, so I wanted to check before finishing my powerpoint!

thanks a lot Wink

29 Dec 2009