Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning powerpoints > it?    

it?

customer
Italy

it?

I know, it �s New Year �s Day, but I �m working, marking tests.
And I �m wondering:

Today is Friday.
or
Today it is Friday.

Can "today" be considered  the subject of the sentence? Or do I have to add "it"?

Thanks in advance,
and, of course,

xnewyear14.gif

1 Jan 2010      

apayala
Spain

Today is Friday sounds perfect to me. I don�t think "it" is necessary.

1 Jan 2010     

silvanija
Lithuania

In the first sentence "today" is the subject, in the second - the adverbial modifier of time. To my mind, they are both correct. You can say "Today is Friday", "It is Friday today" and  "Today it is Friday".

1 Jan 2010     

customer
Italy

Thanks for your help!

Greetings from Italy,
Chiara

1 Jan 2010     

englishchou
Tunisia

I think it is better to say "Today is Friday" because when we say "Today it is Friday" it becomes like "John he is a student " so we get two subjects in the same sentence which normally is a repetition. I prefer to use the first or as silvaniya said "It is Friday today".

2 Jan 2010     

silvanija
Lithuania

If you say "Tomorrow I go to school", tomorrow and I are not two subjects. I is the subject and tomorrow is the adverbial modifier of time. Adverbial modifiers can be placed  at the end and at the beginning of the sentence. The same with "Today it is Friday" - it is the formal subject and today is the adverbial modifier of time.

2 Jan 2010     

tahriali
Tunisia

Hi every body!
In linguistic terms, BOTH are correct
1/ �Today is Friday. � The focus is on �Today � (subject) to the question: What day is it today?
2/ �Today, it �s Friday. � PLZ note the comma is obligatory to separate the subordinate adverbial (Today) from the main clause (it �s Friday). As to �it � here it is the impersonal �it � (e.g. It �s raining)

N.B- these sentences are normally used in different contexts.

2 Jan 2010