Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The way you say year 2010    

The way you say year 2010

marta v
Serbia

The way you say year 2010

Here �s what two of my (British) English native-speaking friends /ex-professors say about this:

Good question, and one to which there isn �t really an answer yet. See the third paragraph of http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/leading_article/article6973470.ece
It �s been a problem for a decade already - 2000 was obviously "two thousand" but thereafter some people (notably newsreaders) said e.g. "twenty seven" while most of us stuck with "two thousand and seven", largely because you have to make a deliberate pause with the first version to avoid it sounding like "27".

I usually say 2 thousand and 10, But you hear future forecasts of "in twenty twenty" I haven �t really heard of "twenty - nine" to refer to last year. Saying "twenty oh nine doesn �t trip quite as easily off the tongue as "two thousand and nine" as you �d have to stress all 3 syllables. Talking of last century, we would almost always say nineteen oh nine, nineteen ten, not nineteen thousand and 10. I suspect from now on we will move over to using twenty ten, twenty fifteen etc.

6 Jan 2010      

pepelie
United Kingdom

twenty ten is being said mainly but it �s not wrong to say two thousand and ten either

6 Jan 2010     

aquarius_gr
Greece

Or just two thousand ten

6 Jan 2010     

yanogator
United States

Aquarius is right, because, as a Mathematician, I can tell you that the word "and" doesn �t belong in a whole number. Although "two thousand and ten" is very common, it is not mathematically correct. It should be "two thousand ten".

Here in the US, most people said "two thousand nine" last year, and both "two thousand ten" and "twenty ten" are common this year.

Also, Marta, last century would be nineteen hundred, not nineteen thousand.

Bruce

6 Jan 2010     

libertybelle
United States

My sister in California says everyone on the west coast says
two thousand and ten which she finds strange because no one said
nineteen hundred and eighty five - they said nineteen eighty five
so twenty ten should be the same and also easier to say.

L

6 Jan 2010     

khaluf
Iraq

Two thousand and ten  are better  and correct

16 Sep 2010