Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > want someone to do something    

want someone to do something

i_love_english
France

want someone to do something

Hello,
I �d like some help as I �ve got a huge doubt.

I would be tempted to say:

"Her father doesn �t want her to talk" when all the textbooks I �ve had a look at give "Her father wants her not to talk" as the right answer.

Do you think both can be used?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Stephanie

26 Jan 2010      

lshorton99
China

The second is more formal than the first but both are correct. The first one is certainly more natural sounding so your instincts are correct!

26 Jan 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Agreed, the first one sounds more like his wish, and the other one is more like his order/request. Both are correct, with a slight difference in style.

26 Jan 2010     

conqueror_mko
Turkey

what about this ?

"Her father doesn �t want her to talk"  : her father wants her to shut up ( she should stop talking )

"Her father wants her not to talk" : her father wants her to keep silent ( she shouldn �t talk about the secret )

26 Jan 2010     

priorita
Ukraine

absolutely right. the point is not whether one of these is more or less formal, the difference is in father �s wish.

26 Jan 2010