Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What would you accept????    

What would you accept????

eng789
Israel

What would you accept????

This is an exercise on a test:

On of the most successful movies in history  _________was___ (be) "Jaws".

Do you remember_ (you/ remember) the monster shark from the movie? 

It ____looked_______ (look) so scary but it ___was made_________ (make) out

of rubber and metal.  The mechanical shark ___had_________ (have)  huge jaws

and ugly teeth.

It   ____was designed________ (design)  to look like a real shark.

thanks
Barbara

31 Jan 2010      

bienke
Belgium

I would write "It had been designed to look like a real shark". The rest looks okay. 

31 Jan 2010     

baiba
Latvia

The only mistake to my mind is

... it was made out of rubber and metal.

31 Jan 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

I agree with bienke...
@ Baiba you can say that something was "made out of...."

I would accept the first one too. BUT
Without knowing exactly what has been taught...
One of the most successful movies in history  _________IS___ (be) "Jaws".
In that it still is right now one of the most successful movies in history.

One of the most successful movies in history  _________was___ (be) "Jaws".

It WAS one of the most successful but now other movies have been more successful so it used to be on the list of most successful but isn �t any more right now.

I could be wrong... but that is the way I sort of read it... depending on whether you use IS or WAS gives a slightly different meaning to it..  anyone else know?

31 Jan 2010     

eng789
Israel

I agree in principle to what you are saying cheezels about using is - but we teach them to look for time expressions and therefore since "in history"  expresses past I expected to have them use was.

What surprised me was that I got this,

Do you remember_ (you/ remember) the monster shark from the movie? 

It ____looks_______ (look) so scary but it ___is made_________ (make) out

of rubber and metal.  The mechanical shark ___has_________ (have)  huge jaws

and ugly teeth.

It   ____was designed__ (design)  to look like a real shark.  (but they left this in past)

31 Jan 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

You are right, it has to be past simple. The design process is a finished action in the past.
"It has been designed" would only be if the film was just out which happened in the past and related to now.

View the difference:
My daughther has been born! Let �s celebrate!
My daughter was born 15 years ago, I don �t know what to get her for her birthday.

So even though with both the child was born in the past and that event has a relationship with now, it �s nonsense to say "My daughter has been born 15 years ago" because it �s so long ago.

And as the others said if something is still true you can use the present simple or continuous as appropriate.  (But you wouldn�t use present continuous while talking about a film.. unless you were talking over it.. which is bad manners! ;) )

31 Jan 2010     

bienke
Belgium

You can �t say "My daughter has been born 15 years ago" because 15 years ago is a time indicator to use Simple Past. For your second example  I would say "My daughter is born! Let �s celebrate!

But you can say "It had been designed" because the designing process comes before the monster was shown in the film.

31 Jan 2010     

eng789
Israel

Sorry - I confused you,  the was designed is correct - my question is - would you accept the answers in blue?

31 Jan 2010     

bienke
Belgium

If you keep "was designed" I would accept simple present for the other sentences as well. 

31 Jan 2010     

douglas
United States

Rule of writing: don �t change tense unnecessarily.  They should all be either present or past tense, not a mix.

PS: the jaws still exist, so "is designed" is also acceptable.)

Douglas

31 Jan 2010     

eng789
Israel

Personally - except for - Do you remember...?  ,  I think it should all be in past like my example in my first post.

31 Jan 2010     

1    2    Next >