Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > ..................................    

______
Germany

8 Feb 2010      

PhilipR
Thailand

This is what you see when you upload:

IMPORTANT: the maximum filesize is 300Kb. If you have a larger file, you could try this:

- If you have more than 1 worksheet, try to divide them in different documents.
- If your document includes images, try to reduce the size and quality.

I think it �s clear that the �divide them � applies to ws larger than 300kB. (The �if you have more than 1 worksheet� should read �If you have a ws larger than 300Kb�) 

8 Feb 2010     

eng789
Israel

I agree with Philip - it is very clear.

8 Feb 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

Dear LadyBird. I think you got the point in what you say. May be some of the rules should be updated and stated more clearly since the site is growing.
For instance may be there should be a wider explanation about author �s ownership of the ws, because many users upload copied from the net not having read or understood this rule quite clearly.
Or the Black and White thing. Many users just upload greyscale version separately from the colored one, which is useless and Victor stated it in the rules for uploading. So may be we should delete those as it was stated?
And for the flashcards. I know that according to the rules 4 is considered to be a set, but what if the user uploads every flashcard as a separate document instead of putting them all together since the size allows? That �s not fair at all.
And so many other issues, that could be solved just with a clear rule stated when uploading. May be if it happens we won �t have so much heated discussions on the reported contributions page.
Hugs.
Yulia

8 Feb 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

To Philip.
You are right, that �s quite clear for us. So may be it should be stated separately that the user cannot divide wss unless it is necessary?

8 Feb 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

I think that flashcards should definitely be uploaded as a set, in ONE worksheet. Otherwise the site will turn into Clipart Central. 

The choice "It is not an ESL resource" when reporting a ws can also lead to heated discussions. BTW, if we really want to reduce the influx of dubious wss or if the site is running out of server space, I wouldn�t mind if wss with fewer than say 5 downloads were removed weekly or monthly (I understand the current rule is zero downloads to have wss removed after one month). This might be an added incentive for members to work harder to produce quality worksheets. (Please don�t argue that even beginners should be given a chance - 5 downloads isn�t a very high target). It may also prevent the problem of uploading wss in a zillion parts which Ladybird addressed in her original post.

8 Feb 2010     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Unfortunatly people who upload stolen worksheets, one flashcard and so on understand the rules quite well but try to cheat them. I think the rules are  clear for everyone and they pop up every time you want to upload. So, whatever we do, whatever rules Victor sets,  there will be people who won �t follow them.

8 Feb 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

Philip, i was also thinking about that 5 point thing. The beginners should be certainly given a chance, but it shouldn �t be forever, since they get 30 points 1 point for each ws and they use the 30 free downloads dailynot putting any more work into this site. I personally had my first wss downloaded once or twice, and i understand that most probably people who downloaded them just gave me a chance to move forward. I took it and now i �m starting to get rid of my old wss myself since i know they will be lost among the others and will just take up the space.
 I also think that some people abuse 30 free daily downloads, since they uploaded 2 wss couple years ago and stopped contributing at all. May be it should have a time limit?
Again, i �m only expressing my opinion.
As for those who cheat, really i can see that some people upload not having read the rules. May be this should be the 1st rule written with a huge font. And i �m saying it not only for the sake of those who cheat, but more for the sake of our dear moderators, who spend hours every day checking the recent contributions. I do admire their work, but i also think there are ways to make it easier for them.

8 Feb 2010     

baiba
Latvia

I have been thinking about the PLACE where the rules are posted.

It is only when the worksheet is ready and the author clicks on "send a printable" that he/she reads the restrictions and bans. It is too late, in my opinion. The rules should be seen BEFORE anyone even starts planning his/her worksheet not to make the person disappointed or frustrated.

As regards b/w and grayscale worksheets, I think many people don �t even know that there is a difference. That �s why they upload grayscale docs while it is completely unnecessary.

Of course, flashcards should be ALL sent in one worksheet. It is not a problem to reduce the size of pics.

8 Feb 2010     

Lana.
Ireland

Totally agree with Baiba: the rules should be seen before hitting the Send button. Thumbs Up

Good thinking there!

8 Feb 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

i would add that there most be a clear definition on what is considered an esl contribution since every teacher has his/her own definition according to what they believe. For example, yesterday i saw a ws in which the student has to draw the faces of their family to form a family tree, i dont think students would learn english by drawing, maybe if there was a line to put the names in english of the family member then ok, but even though the member suggested doing that, i think that suggestions are not enough, the ws should be as for what is intended to be. i have seen ws with a reading and the instruction read and discuss, that is not an esl resourse for me imho, but moderator have voted to stay just because it has a task when the member only copy/paste the reading and added a single line of instruction. so to make it short i truly think victor has to clarify what is accepted or not as an esl resource.  

8 Feb 2010     

1    2    Next >