Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar Teaching Tips    

Grammar Teaching Tips

Kohaku
Japan

Grammar Teaching Tips

Hello!!! I have been given the opportunity to add a Grammar course to my conversational English classes. The students are age 14-17years old. There are only six students and they are very tired when I see them at 8pm.
I am excited to help these students any way possible. I haven �t experienced their weak or strong points yet. I believe these students are intermediate from what I have been told. Are there any basic guidelines or starting points you use to help your students in Grammar. This will be my 1st Grammar course and I want to help my students to the best of my ability. I also hope to learn any interesting activities for Grammar that might be fun.

Thanks to all for my previous advice I am growing everyday and my classes seem to grow everyday with me!!!! Shocked However, I am not ready to pull my hair out yet. I love teaching and this is what I find pride in doing. Clown

24 Feb 2010      

libertybelle
United States

Well, I understand these kids are tired at 8 p.m.
Many of my students go to bed at 9 or 10!
Not to forget that these kids have been in school all day.

If you could combine physical learning with theory, you might have a chance.
How about games like charades where each student gets a card telling them
to enact a scene, like waiting for the bus, and the others have to guess the verb.
(waiting) Each students gets up in turn.
Or sketches where the class finds all the verbs, nouns etc from the script.
At this time of night, they might be more receptive if they were kept physically busy.

Just an idea.
L

24 Feb 2010     

urpillay
Spain

I recommend you the following books which contain grammar games:
- Grammar Games by Mario Rinvolucri. Cambridge University Press.
Games are organized by grammar points and levels.
- Grammar Practice Activities. A Practical guide for teachers by Penny Ur. Cambridge University Press.
There is a blog created by a Brazilian teacher who uses films to teach grammar points. It worths visiting it! http://moviesegmentstoassessgrammargoals.blogspot.com

If you need to know more about methodology, Jeremy Harmer �s books are the best:
- The Practice of English Language Teaching
- How to Teach English.

I hope this information helps you!

INMA ALC�ZAR

24 Feb 2010     

alien boy
Japan

)Great suggestions there from LB & urpillay!

I �d also suggest a couple of other thoughts from personal experience of teaching privately, in a �good � private school & a junior high school...

In Japan, formal English grammar knowledge is essential to gain entry to good senior high schools & universities (if they are sitting English related entrance/placement exams). This could have some impact on which aspects of grammar are most important in the students � & their parents/guardians opinions. It will be important for you to be able to assess & show that results/improvements/learning is taking place. This is to ensure that the people paying the bills believe you are doing your job & also to ensure the students gain tangible benefit from your teaching in an environment that will (I �m sure Thumbs Up) be far more enjoyable than being stuck in �juku � (cram school)

make sure they do a mixture of reading, written & spoken grammar activities. Japanese students are often considered to be excellent at written English grammar... but that isn �t supported empirically! You will need to pay particular attention to articles in English because they don �t occur in Japanese. This creates a linguistic �blind spot � for Japanese students.

If I come across some good references for teaching Japanese students I �ll try to send them your way.

This has a few interesting pieces of advice too: http://humanities.byu.edu/elc/Teacher/japanesestudents.html

Cheers,
AB

24 Feb 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I have my oldest teenage sts from 8.30-10 p. m. I know what it means to work with tired sts. But if you combine fun stuff with fun texts and word games, believe me, you �ll have to chase them away home at the end of the lessons. I �ve already given you lots of links and advice, but perhaps this link will help you with the basic grammar rules, examples and practice (it �s possible to do it online, but you can also use the practice part by copying it to word docs) www.englishpage.com . I really often turn to this source, and I even had sts who tried doing the practice at home online, and loved the immediate feedback you get.
But the key thing is not to limit yourself to grammar. You should hear my longterm sts who already know my teaching style - for instance, when we did the lyrics of If I were a Boy, they knew immediately we were going to revise the Conditionals, but they didn �t mind. In fact we had fun. Never underestimate the power of humour as a positive wake up call...

24 Feb 2010