Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > a native student     

a native student

WestHampstead
Spain

a native student

I �ve got a native student in my class.
Can you suggest me activities? he �s in the second level ESO
thanks a lot

24 Feb 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hi!
why don �t you give him the job of teaching assistant! he can help you, help others in the class and he will feel good to know that he �s useful! have a look at my ws, there �s one about the job of teaching assitant!
take care

24 Feb 2010     

class centre
Belarus

Dear friends,
I would be extremely careful about making a student  a teacher �s  assistant. A student can not be above other students even if he or she is native English speaking. It can create problems for his interpersonal relations after your class or even at your lesson. It �s not his merit to be able to speak English. You may not agree with me, but my principle in the class is - all students are equal to me. If they work in pairs, they express themselves as much as they can. But no student can be taken as a model, even in this situation. If I were in your shoes, I would just give him a more difficult task and make him speak more ( up to his level).
Good luck!

24 Feb 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hi!
i �m not saying to take him/her as a model, just to give him thinks to do while the others are learning things he/she already knows!
i don �t have a native speaker in my classes, but i �ve got 2 teaching assistants (picked out randomly) at the start of every class, and they appreciate to be more involved in the class management!
i have a friend who had a native speaker last year, and this pupil had a bad behaviour in class because he was bored, when she asked him to become a teaching assistant, it changed everything! obviously the pupils have to agree, but it can be a nice way to motivate a native speaker and to integrate him to the class...
but i agree, you have to be careful and consider all the possibilities before choosing what you �ll do... giving him/her harder things to do can be nice, but he/she might feel like he/she �s not belonging to the class...
take care!

24 Feb 2010     

lshorton99
China

I would suggest writing activities. Even native speakers may not know the correct way to write, for example, formal letters, essays etc. You could also revise the tenses with him - again, he will use them correctly but he may not know what they are - I didn �t know we had a present perfect tense until I took my CELTA!

24 Feb 2010     

Crespus2006
United States

How about teaching differences btw Am En and Br En? I mean if he / she is an American he / she doesn �t know lots of words from Br Eng and vice-versa. 

25 Feb 2010     

WestHampstead
Spain

thanks, I have just seen some of your answers..
THANKS FOR HELPING

7 Mar 2010