Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > SHOULD STUDENTS PAY FOR REINFORCEMENT AND EXTENSION ACTIVITIES IN A STATE SCHOOL?    

SHOULD STUDENTS PAY FOR REINFORCEMENT AND EXTENSION ACTIVITIES IN A STATE SCHOOL?

mena22
Portugal

You are absolutely right. Textbooks are there to support us, not to be literally followed. We have a national curriculum and a national English syllabus, but even those are flexible, I mean, it �s up to the English Department of each school, depending on the context of the school (where it is located, students...) and, ultimately, to each teacher, according to the reality of his/her classroom, to manage the syllabus - to decide what contents and when to teach them.

Besides, there is the problem you focused - mixed ability classrooms which require adapted activities and worksheets. I �m sure if you take the problem to the Head of your Department, everyody will agree that a certain amount of copies, even if a limited one, is essential for some students � progress, which makes this  no longer just a question of "budget" but also a pedagocical issue. It is then up to the Head of your Department to take your concerns to the School Pedagogical Board. If you present good arguments based on solid principles of pedagogy and legislation, they will most certainly determine the amount of copies each teacher can take, according to the budget the school has to manage. At least this is how it works for us in Portugal.

Hope I could help.
Hugs,
mena

25 Feb 2010     

yolprica
Spain

In our high school in Extremadura, those restrictions haven �t come yet but I am sure they will because they won �t have money for everything they promised (a computer for each student and many useless projects which are not basic needs in a state school at the moment). So, I �ll cross my fingers and hope we won �t have the same problem and Andalucians can solve theirs. In my opinion, the photocopies we give our students are really important and useful and help them to improve their English.
My best wishes
Yolanda

25 Feb 2010     

kons
Morocco

HI everybody,
before raising this issue I thought that we, Moroccan teachers, are the only ones who face this problem. But it seems this is not the case. I teach in a public high school and I �m obliged to ask my Ss to make copies of the worksheet one week before or to collect money and I take charge of all the stuff. Actually, I feel enbarrassed to ask them to collect money because most of the time they are reluctant. you can imagine the situation then. even though there is a xerox machine in our school, we have to pay for making copies for our students. the conditions are not helpful at all, but we try to cope with the situation.

25 Feb 2010     

JUANBEGI
Spain

Thank you all for your commentaries. They are helping me reflect. You are providing very sound arguments to take to the Head of my department. And the rest of the forum...could you give your views?

25 Feb 2010     

teachertonyinchina
China

I work in China at a private language center and I would rather print any worksheets at home and pay for ink and paper than argue about it with my employers.  There are 2 reasons 1 I don�t want to spend my free time at work. 2 it costs very little to print worksheets. Very few people in China buy ink cartridges we use bottles that sit outside the printer. A pint of ink costs about three pounds and paper about one pound fifty for 500 sheets.

25 Feb 2010     

COLOMBO
Russian Federation

well, I print all the worksheets on my printer and give them to the students for free.�Embarrassed�

25 Feb 2010     

merchita
Spain

Hi!  I �ve had the same problem this year. This is my first year in a state school in a small town in the Valencian Commuity. I used lots of ESLprintables during the first term but I was told not to use that amount on the second term.  

I was told that in the school  students have to pay for the photocopies, so I had to prepare a dossier for the second term in advance and the students paid for it, and I �m afraid I �ll have to do the same on the third term.  I felt really bad about it, because I have many students with special needs (ACIS) and they need lots of worksheets...    

It �d be sensible to control the amount of photocopies a teacher takes, but sometimes it depends on the school subject you teach, the characteristics of your students, your teaching style, the students needs....

Well, good luck and I hope you �ll tell us good news soon.

Merche

25 Feb 2010     

JUANBEGI
Spain

The problem is that the manager has vetoed me and has prohibited the school staff to allow me to make photocopies. However, this morning lots of beers, cokes, wine...to celebrate Andalusia �s Day. Anyway, I strongly believe "education" in a State school must have no price

25 Feb 2010     

< Previous   1    2