Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > modal verbs    

modal verbs

WestHampstead
Spain

modal verbs

Hi! I �ve got a complicated class of 16 year old teenagers with different levels, talkative, behaviour problems...
I have to teach them modal verbs: have to, should, must, can, could
Have you got any idea I can use to make it more motivating for them?
THANKS A LOT

28 Feb 2010      

saskat3
Hungary

Hi!
Personally, I teach have to, must/mustn �t together with can/can �t and I give them a topic or a list and have to work in pairs. For ex. School rules: new student arrived, tell him/her what to do or what he can �t do or even mustn �t. The other student get another topic for ex. new student join the sport club. I give them a vocabulary list they can use like uniform, starting time, ...etc.
I teach should/shouldn �t on other lessons but always in different situations like illneses or personal desires for ex. somebody wants to get a language exam, or want to take up something (a hobby) ...
Pair work is always motivating and you don �t need a lot of extra materials, tasklist and vocablist are enough.

28 Feb 2010     

lshorton99
China

One of my colleagues did something similar to what saskat3 is talking about but they had to invent crazy schools. She ended up with posters on her wall with lists of rules such as �We must make bombs in chemistry class �, � �The teachers must sell drugs �. They really enjoyed it and some of the posters were hilarious!

28 Feb 2010     

WestHampstead
Spain

Thanks a lot for your ideas! 

28 Feb 2010