Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > NATIVE SPEAKERS, PLEASE    

NATIVE SPEAKERS, PLEASE

yolprica
Spain

NATIVE SPEAKERS, PLEASE

Could any native speakers make a guide in which they include the typical mistakes they find non-native speakers make?
It would be very useful for us all. I bet you see lots of mistakes in this site every day and we are all eager to learn from you.
Thanks for listening to me
Yolanda

3 Mar 2010      

teachertonyinchina
China

People from different countries make different mistakes. You would be better directing your question to native speakers who teach in Spain.

3 Mar 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Hi Yolanda

Do you mean here on the message board or in the classroom?

Most non-natives have problems with irregular verbs - is/are has/have etc.
Then there are all the false friends - some differ from country to country.

Homophones - their - there - they �re/  Your and you �re. (even native speakers have this problem)

Here on the board, many write  - I have a doubt -but usually in the US we say
I �m in doubt (about this problem)

The word definitely is often mis-spelled.

I think there are some grammatical problems that are the same from country to country.
I can see that reflected in the types of mistakes written here on the board.  So I guess we can all learn from each other.

L

3 Mar 2010     

teachertonyinchina
China

Most non native speakers find it very difficult to use countable and uncountable nouns.

3 Mar 2010     

jocruz
Portugal

Maybe this site will be useful:

COMMON ERRORS IN ENGLISH USAGE

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html

3 Mar 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Dear Yolprica,

I believe that both, native speakers and non-native speakers make typical mistakes. However, the typical mistakes that non-native speakers make tend to vary immensly, depending the the learners � mother tongue. In my opinion, such general lists tend to bother and confuse people who don �t need certain information with "stuff" they don �t have to worry about. I have found that some nationalities have bigger problems with articles, simply because they don �t use any in their languages, Germans have other problems with articles, because they have three genders in their language and English doesn �t use any. I am peparing a seminar on mistakes that are typical for German learners of English.

Why don �t you make a sheet that focuses on Spanish learners, I could make one that focuses on German learners. Deal?

Regina

3 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

In Spain some of the things I particularly notice are:

�make/do � confusion
�I am agree � instead of �I agree � (L1 interference)
3rd person singular - omission of �s �
poor pronounciation of the words �since � �because � and �friend � in particular

Those are the errors that immediately come to mind but I �m sure I can think of more!!!!

3 Mar 2010     

Catalina Sorina
Romania

In Romanian we write as we read - we read as we write and it �s very difficult for young learners to cope with the idea that in English we read and write differently (especially the article "a", because we have a Romanian letter for that sound, too).

3 Mar 2010     

yolprica
Spain

I am not talking about the typical mistakes our student make, which are many and we can correct them easily but the typical mistakes we (teachers) make ,like using prepositions incorrectly or wrong word order. I see lots of mistakes every day in worksheets and on the board too and of course I am not an exception, that �s why I �m asking for your help.
Thanks everybody for answering
Yolanda

3 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

Oh, to add to Ishorton �s list...

The adding of "a" to plural things when speaking... i.e. a dogs, a black cars...
Adjective reversal. - Cat black, hair blonde...
Omission of the verb "to be" when using the continuous tenses...
Mistaking the vowels when spelling... a for e, e for i, i for a...
Mistaking "c" for "s" when spelling...

And I am such there are a few more there... 

3 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

oooh - I �ve got one!

�I have a doubt. � No one says that in English but I get it all the time in class. I �m not sure I could even tell you why it �s wrong!

3 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >