Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > A little confession..    

A little confession..

mena22
Portugal

I also agree with you Ana. Sharing is definitely the key word here. That is why I have joined this site. Sharing has always been my key word, long before ESL printables existed. But what we are discussing here has nothing to do with it. What we are discussing here is one of the rules we must abide by - to share only the work we have created.

I do appreciate your work - all the work created by you, as I appreciate all the work created by any member of this site.

However, I must say that I completely disagree when members copy whole worksheets, texts and reading tasks, word by word, from textbooks. That was the case of the worksheets I have reported from you. That is the case of the worksheets I report whenever I recognize the text and exercises.

Reporting may not be your thing. I respect that. Reporting is my thing, whenever I find it appropriate. And when I am faced with plagiarism, not once, not twice, not three times, not four... well, I certainly have the right to make it my thing.  And all I can ask is to be respected for that.

Were it my intention to have your account cancelled, I would have reported all the worksheets you have deleted. No, that was never my intention and all moderators know that I am against reporting 3 worksheets on the same day to prevent an account from being cancelled. My only intention by reporting only two of your worksheets was to make you aware that it is not right to infringe the site �s rules, it is not right to use other people �s work as ours, it is not right to take credit for what we have not done. Those are not laws of the site. Those are basic principles people who live in a community should live by.

No one is flawless. I know I am not. But I am humble enough, like you, to recognize my mistakes, to apologise for them, and to learn from them. Just as I believe you did. The only difference is that I find no need to make it public.

Wish you all a good night.

4 Mar 2010     

achadinha
Portugal

I also agree with all of you. I never reported nothing because I think that "sharing" it �s the main purpose of this site. Sometimes I make a worksheet with images taken from other colleagues sheets what �s the problem? This means that the effort of others is really good even excellent. They should be happy and gratefull because someone uses their images, exercises or other stuff and transforms that material in something innovating....and something that others can share...Don �t worry my friend...continue to do your best...I �m not here to compete just to share!

4 Mar 2010     

pmca
Portugal

I never reported nothing because I think that "sharing" it �s the main purpose of this site. Sometimes I make a worksheet with images taken from other colleagues sheets what �s the problem? This means that the effort of others is really good even excellent. They should be happy and gratefull because someone uses their images, exercises or other stuff and transforms that material in something innovating....and something that others can share...

So Carla, are you actually saying that when you copy from someone else �s work the author should be happy and grateful for your act of plagiarism???? 

Do you know that you can be sued for using copyright material? 

I really hope I misunderstood you...

Mena, I absolutely agree with you. Smile

4 Mar 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi

I can �t keep my big mouth shut. Especially when I read "I make a worksheet with images taken from other colleagues sheets what �s the problem?"..."They should be happy and gratefull because someone uses their images, exercises or other stuff and transforms that material in something innovating"

If you take something from someone without asking permission, it doesn �t matter how useful or innovating it �ll become. And if you can �t see any problem on this kind of behavior, I see a problem there.

We are here to share but the least we expect is respect from others. If we want to share, it doesn �t mean we are dismissing our rights over our work. We aren �t artists, but it is still our work. Plagiarism is a problem in a site like this and if we don �t respect the rules, what kind of example will our students follow?

It doesn �t matter if you are against plagiarism or if you see no problem in it, it is still a crime.

And who - in the name of God - has asked someone to "transform our stuff in something innovating"? If we want our stuff to be different, we can change it ourselves. If we wanted it to be different, we would make in another way.

The site is to share our own material. No one was given the license to "change other person �s work".

4 Mar 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

You all talk about sharing here being the key word and crucify those who report and checks your work. Guys, i think the key word in here is sharing YOUR work, not sharing WHAT I FOUND SOMEWHERE that �s nice.
Ana, you talk so openly about your worksheets being reported and so many people agree with you, how come?
We are all busy people, all mothers, wives and teachers (well, sometimes husbands and fathers), but we don �t all copy/paste. Let �s be honest, if everyone suddenly takes up the sharing spirit and stops reporting and moderating and starts copying from wherever (there are SO many places to copy from), what this site is gonna turn into?
I strongly believe that everyone here in this community should take some time to try and help the site be clean and really original.
I don �t know if i reported any of your wss, i rarely look who the author is if the ws looks suspicious to me, i check and if it �s a copy - i report it. Few times i �ve been wrong, but i �m only human.
I also feel sad and disappointed when i read post like yours, because i feel that what i �m doing here is useless and pointless since so many people are OK with the �sharing � spirit rather than �sharing what �s yours � spirit.

4 Mar 2010     

jdrc
Spain

I understand how you feel.

I respect the rules
and I dont what to cause a conflict but
my sheet has been reported and I have proof that I bought and found free clip arts to make my worksheet. Apart from that I have the photoshop  and word originals.  All I�m saying is that I�m sure the moderators of the website are donig a great job but when you work on a WS for an hour and then you see users are downloading it, which encourages you to keep creating and the next day you are accused of theft, that also offends me. worksheet:378179  I imagine it�s difficult to be a moderator and I �m greatful for their work, but they have accused an inocent user, (me in this case).

6 Mar 2010     

lhmoniz
Portugal

Dear Ana,

I �m just writing to say I love your work . I �m not teaching secondary levels this year, but I �ve already downloaded many of your worksheets, because I like the way you work and I want to use them one day.

Please, don �t feel sad, because some people don �t even deserve it! This has turned into a war of points to keep the first place, at least it seems like it!

I think you are one of those people who have a full life, so you don �t need this kind of war.

Dont � care about all the people, who spend their time watching other people �s work, they may have a very empty life or the day is longer in their town. Besides they are special, they have never used texts from books and they have ALWAYS written the texts they have used. Lucky them!

18 Mar 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3