Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > HELLLPPPP!!!    

HELLLPPPP!!!

veraviana
Portugal

HELLLPPPP!!!

Hi dear friends! Can you help me? I hope so because I thought I knew this (double comparative) and now...

I have the following sentence in my students � book:

Cheap airline fares are getting ________________________ (easy) to find.

I �d say easier and easier but the answer key says more and more easy. Confused

Which one is correct?

Thanks in advance!

Hugs,
Vera

8 Mar 2010      

Durbanite
Portugal

Hello Vera!

For sure the correct answer is easier and easier.

Durbanite (Fernanda)

8 Mar 2010     

yanogator
United States

I think "more and more easy" also sounds gramatically correct, but "easier and easier" is definitely the best answer.

Bruce

8 Mar 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Vera

... easier and easier

I would bet, but my grandfather told me once I could insist and persist, but I should never bet. I try to follow his wisdom . LOL
linda

8 Mar 2010     

Mariethe House
France

easier and easier! That"s what I have been teaching for35 years! But maybe I have been wrong for 35 years! LOL I am sure it is easier and easier although it is not true that teaching is getting easier and easier!( lol)

have a nice evening, day afternoon, morning!

8 Mar 2010     

veraviana
Portugal

I thought so too but the problem is that you listen to so many mistakes on TV and in some series (eg. I �ve already heard someone say more easy) that you start to doubt yourself. Besides, the book suggests this answer so...
Anyway, thank you so much! ^__^

8 Mar 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

Grammatically both are correct as easy is a two syllable adjective ending in Y. Like pretty - more pretty or prettier.
But easier sounds better and i hear it more often.

8 Mar 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

There is a list of such adjectives that can take both comparative forms with �more � or with -er.
Can �t find the list right now. Does anyone have it here? 

8 Mar 2010     

akuzmenok
Ukraine

According to the correct grammar, two-syllable adjectives ending in -y should take the suffix -er. Whatever other variant you can hear, remember that people can make mistakes in their speech (in any language), as well as the author of the tests.

8 Mar 2010