Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Why ony can printables only be in .doc format?    

Why ony can printables only be in .doc format?

koretto
Japan

Why ony can printables only be in .doc format?

Hi all - and the site administrators,

I have some really nice resources (for both kids and adults) that have been designed by me and tried and tested by other teachers. I would really like to share. The problem is, I don´t use Word (I use a publishing program) and if I save the documents in .doc the formatting is totally off and cannot be fixed (I do not use Word).

Is there a way I can upload my printables in PDF?
Also, as a non-word user - there is little point in downloading other people´s work. I believe that having a PDF upload option will increase the resources available to everyone.

Thanks,

Colette

10 Mar 2010      

Kasuga
Japan

If you are using Adobe or Corel, make a .jpeg by exporting the file (highlight everything and hit export or use Control + E)  Then use the insert picture tool in word to make your .doc file.  Make sure your .jpeg is not more than 300 kb though.  I use Corel Draw and I occasionally use this method.  I hope this helps.  Your PDF suggestion seems plausible but it rules out the possibility of modifying worksheets to fit your classes.

10 Mar 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

Since Adobe is more expensive than Office, most of us use the former, so PDF isn �t editable for the majority. We use .doc extention in order to provide wss that everyone can adapt to the ss needs.

If you don �t want to get Office, I suggest you use OpenOffice, it �s free and you can download it here. You can open wss created with Office and save yours with the .doc extention to upload them here.

Hope it helps.

10 Mar 2010     

crycoin
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Actually, you don �t need to buy Adobe to view pdf files. You can download a free software called Foxit PDF Reader on this link http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/
I �ve been using this pdf viewer for years and its excellent.
Hope this helps!

10 Mar 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

You can open the files but can �t edit them. The purpose of the site is to share wss that you can edit, adding or erasing frames, for example. Or getting a B&W copy if you need one. Or adapting it to your students vocabulary. There are several softwares that edit pdf files but the result is often very poor and you have to struggle with it to get what you want. Sharing .doc files is the best option for the majority.

10 Mar 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Save your work as a GIF of at least 1200 pixels in width and drag it into your document file, then upload (you can get about 3 pages at this size usually".  I do this most times.  PNGs are better but they use more memory.  Jpeg will become pixelated if it �s clipart.

10 Mar 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I agree with Zailda that the purpose of the site is sharing original, but also editable work, because then we can adapt it to our students needs.

Many people are worried about copyright and copying, however, most of the times our students have special needs we would like to consider when giving them work to do, and unfortunately, if your wss are uneditable, your work may not be of use for all the teachers in here, which is not the end of the world, but the more people we reach, the better - which also means more downloads/points for you!

Try editting them in word, cutting and pasting them yourself, one by one rather than saving as .doc. It may seem harder, but since we are allowed to send only 3 wss per day, I �m sure it won �t take you forever =D
This way, more people will be able to use your material to help their students in learning English.

But again, that �s just a personal point of view, and tip!

; )

Hugs, Bruna.

10 Mar 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Google free software for converting PDF to doc and SHARE DOC!
PDF Text Reader
Free PDF to Word Doc Converter
freeocr26
It�s simple and effective! Editable worksheets are welcomed. Non-editable wss are not very useful...
All free text softwares have an option - save as doc... No problem.

http://www.hellopdf.com/ PDF TO DOC FREE CONVERTER
Good luck!

Key Features: Convert PDF to Word and preserve the original layout of your PDF in an editable Word Document.

10 Mar 2010     

koretto
Japan

Thanks all for your feedback. I understand the site is used for sharing worksheets and that in some cases people want to edit the sheets to suit their classes needs. I just wondered why the alternative (upload and download PDF) format isn �t available - it just provides more options and a greater variety.

Thanks Moravc for the link, I will check it out. I have tried exporting/converting to .doc in many ways but have never been able to preserve the original layout.

12 Mar 2010