Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Reporting issues    

Reporting issues

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Dear Mariethe,

Although I understand your point, it would be nearly impossible for a website with no income and no profit to have such a board, because who would kindly reserve their time to work for us without payment? I think that we do the best with what we have, and we will always have flaws (even wise men make mistakes - everyday in the world), so, I guess we have to keep helping, obviously, this website we love so much, with the time we have.

That �s why I report, that �s why I enjoyed my time as a moderator.

Let �s keep up the good work! After all, aren �t we the Eslprintables � knights?! Wink

Love,

Bruna.

13 Mar 2010     

juliag
Japan

I think, and I �m sure Victor said this the other day but can �t find the thread, that we need to lose this association of negativity with reporting worksheets.

Although I agree with the point that we should be considerate about other people �s feelings, I believe (though correct me if I �m wrong) that Victor said that reporting a worksheet is just the same as sending the member a PM to ask them to change their worksheet.

Except for in the case of blatant plagirism (which I strongly believe, and I �m sure most of you would agree, shouldn �t be allowed), a reported worksheet is all about giving that member a chance to reupload the worksheet in compliance with the rules of the site. It will also make their future within the community easier and smoother, because the rules will become clearer to them and so they should have less problems following them (and therefore less reported worksheets) in the future.

So we just need to change our mindsets a little and see a reported worksheet as a suggestion/some advice (like a PM) and a chance to improve, rather than as a condemnation.

Of course, I can see that in order for this to work the automated message that members whose printables have been reported receive needs to be written in this tone. I �m not sure how the message reads, but also remember Victor saying he was working on making it more friendly, so maybe he could take these points into consideration when he rewrites it.

I believe that if we can succeed in getting rid of this negativity connected wtih reported worksheets, it will be a much better system than relying on PMing members all the time. For example, sometimes we don �t have time to Pm all creators of all the worksheets we may find that don �t comply with the rules whereas the reporting system is very quick and simple.

Similarly, sending a PM doesn �t always get a reponse. Only the other day I PMed a member to suggest that they removed some words in a language other than English rather than reporting the worksheet, but when I looked later on the worksheet hadn �t been changed. If the worksheet is frozen and, if the moderators decided that is against the rules, can �t be reuploaded until the changes have been made, I think we have a far higher chance of ensuring that all the worksheets in the site are in compliance with the rules.

And although I believe in some flexibility with rules, there is no point in having them in the first place if we are just going to ignore them outright.

That said, I think that when reporting worksheets we need to be aware of the responsibility we are taking on and what effect our actions may have on others and do so only with an attitude of repsect towards our colleagues work.

13 Mar 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

@julia.

Well said and explained. Thanks for your reasoning.

13 Mar 2010     

Montypython
France

I do think you �re right Aim�e. At least, you �re sure that the person knows the rules.

13 Mar 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

"to report you need to have been here at least 6 months" Thumbs Up

13 Mar 2010     

eng789
Israel

Are the moderators telling the people who are reporting incorrectly - why they are wrong so they won �t continue making the same mistakes????

13 Mar 2010     

Mariethe House
France

In the past, there have been moderators condemning, refusing, reporting  ws when they themselves had been

cheating!!  There have been prople with more than 10000 points cheating grossly!   So who are we to trust?

When for a very short time ,recently;I was allowed behind the "screen moderators were complaining about that!�

Already in August 2009, I had written the following and I had not wanted to give names or report! This is not my style:

"
Whats more I have had a look at some ws from people with loads of points.... It is clear that some

of them are so professional that they have been copied!! And these very people open

up innocent eyes and shout publicly  at others and report them!! Shame on you! "

So maybe There should be a board of moderators appointed among the members Victor knows and trusts best! Just an idea!

13 Mar 2010     

Aimee/S.
Israel

Thanks for all your interesting answers!
I like Zora �s idea about time - time on the site is probably more important than points.
Mariethe �s suggestion sounds fine too... 
Hopefully Victor will take a decision - whether to keep it the way it is now... or change it.
Have a great Saturday,
Aimee

13 Mar 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

the problem with the board is that not a lot of people have time to moderate and report on the regular basis, so i don �t think there is a point in that.
To me, things are ok the way they are, we just have to be careful ourselves. If you see someone abusing reporting button, just pm to Victor, if it �s really so, he �ll stop that user from reporting.
We do need a lot of reporters as we have a lot of copies here. No board of trusted members can manage the whole amount of work to be done. Unless it �s a board of couple hundred people who are willing to sacrifice at least an hour a day for checking copies and another hour for voting for or against removal.

13 Mar 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Of course there �ll be members breaking rules in all levels - until they get caught. However, this fact doesn �t imply they don �t know the rules. And they are not the majority.

If there are "wss so professional that they have been copied", other people who seem to be so concerned about "fairness" should take their time to report them. It �ll be more useful for the site than coming to the forum to spread general accusations, in which I see no purpose or use for the site.

Either we choose "points" or "time" to be a parameter for being a moderator, the problem will be the same, because being a member for 6 months or years doesn �t mean the person is fair or aware of the rules. I want to remind you about a case of a banned member who was here from the very beginning of the site.

We are to trust in people we choose. No one is obliged to trust one person in particular, but having a staff of moderators for me is a guarantee that the most of them are able to do their job, unless you prefer to believe that "the majority" is unfair and consists of cheaters. But if you use common sense you �ll conclude they are not.

Points seem to be a good parameter, because to have 5,000 points means that people approved someone �s work at least 5,000 times.

13 Mar 2010     

< Previous   1    2