Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Got a question     

Got a question

sassouki
Tunisia

Got a question

hi, does anyone know what we call a letter in which a person complains about a personal problem for example; a mother complaining about housechores or a son complaining about pocket money? I tried to google it but I �ve found nothing. All I know is that it is not a "letter of complaint" since a letter of complaint is formal while these aren �t.

16 Mar 2010      

mcamca
Austria

They write a  letter to an agony aunt. (magazine, newspaper)

16 Mar 2010     

brookee
United States

Are you looking for letters seeking advice?  Try these...

~~Brooke

16 Mar 2010     

mena22
Portugal

In my coursebook it appears as complaint letter. Hope I could help.

Have a nice day,
mena

16 Mar 2010     

gloriawpai
Brazil

@ Brooke : Thanks for the links!! : )

16 Mar 2010     

douglas
United States

I don �t really know that we have a specific name for that.  I would say: "She wrote a letter to her mother complaining about her lazy husband." 

A "complaint letter" sounds very formal, like something you would send to a company that has sold you an unsatisfactory product. 

The columns in newspapers that deal with common domestic/everyday complaints are usually called advice columns.  The Landers sisters (Abby and Ann) are two of the best known advice columnists in the USA, they have been at it for about 50 yearsor more.

Douglas

16 Mar 2010     

libertybelle
United States

If, as Douglas wrote, the letter is to a magazine or newspaper, asking for advice -
then in the USA it is called an advice column and in the UK it is called an agony column.

Mostly people in the States call it Dear Abby or Dear Ann because these two women were/are the most famous of advice givers.  The Dear Abby column was popular way back in the 50 �s

16 Mar 2010     

sa3ida
Tunisia

we call it an agony aunt letter. you can try the following link. It �s an agony aunt lesson plan:
http://www.baalbek.org/teachblog/using-agony-aunt-letters/

16 Mar 2010     

sassouki
Tunisia

THANK U ALL FOR UR PRECIOUS HELP.

16 Mar 2010