Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Superstitions    

Superstitions

Makol
Russian Federation

Superstitions

Hello, dear Teachers!

For my lesson I need some Turkish, Spanish and Greek superstitions. Can you help me? I need not an article or something like that but real superstions you believe.

Thank you

19 Mar 2010      

bburcu
Turkey

Hi Dear Makol

I �d like to share some Turkish Superstitions and stereotypes. Maybe they can help you :)

* IF YOU HAVE DREAMT A NIGHTMARE, YOU SHOULD TELL IT RUNNING WATER SO THAT RUNNING WATER TAKES ALL THE BAD EFFECTS OF THE NIGHTMARE AWAY.

* IF YOU CUT YOUR NAILS AT NIGHT, IT BRINGS YOU BAD LUCK.

* IF SOMEONE IS STARTING KNITTING SOMETHING, A HARDWORKING OR QUICK PERSON SHOULD ENTER THE ROOM RUNNING SO THAT THAT PIECE OF KNITTING FINISHES QUICKLY.

Tongue  thats all. hope you like it :)

19 Mar 2010     

degulasepa
Peru

Hello Makol ! i�m not from Spain, i�m peruvian, but i think we share some common superstitions.

For example, you should never hand another person a knive, because if you do so, you�ll argue with that person !!

If you drop a knive, that means you�ll have unexpected visitors at home.

Hope you find them useful !

19 Mar 2010     

epit
Turkey

Dear Makol ,please look your pm

19 Mar 2010     

poppyzey
Turkey

Hi Makol,

Turkey having the countless superstitions,has the common one as the Blue Bead.You wear this one to attract the looks towards it to prevent evil eye.People believe in that if you wear it on an appearant place , the evil look will be distracted towards it and you will be safe.

Another common superstition is knocking on the wood which is also known in other cultures.

Wearing your shoe on the right foot,

while you are entering the house you step with your right foot and while leaving stepping your left first,

swalloping the rice which was prayed on before an exam and writing with the pen as has been applied in the same way ,

some people still believe that cursing still exists and they go to the people who makes it as an illegal job to break it,

we prefer sitting while drinking water

wearig your underwears inside out ,

standing on the brink ,

killing a spider especially on Friday and at nights,

cutting your fingernails at nights are believed to bring bad luck.

if you are pregnant and you eat lots of quinces your child is supposed to have dimples,.

These are the ones I can  remember and there are lots of them as Turkey is a rich country with different civilizations over the centuries.Hope these will be a profit for you.:))

19 Mar 2010     

serene
Greece

I �ve sent you a PM.

19 Mar 2010     

covad
Spain

Hi, I �m not superstitious, but these are some of the superstitions I know from my country:

Tuesdays 13th are days of bad luck.
In Spain it brings you bad luck if you open an umbrella inside a house. 
If someone sweeps over your feet, you will never get married.
However, if you wear some of your clothes inside out accidentally, you �ll be pleasantly surprised.

Hope it helps.

19 Mar 2010     

readingaol
Portugal

wow, in Portugal superstitions are like in Spain! Except that when you wear your clothes inside out, people say you are afraid of witches.

19 Mar 2010     

mariamit
Greece

Hi
The most common Greek superstition is " the evil eye" - we wear a turquoise stone to protect us from people who want our harm- "those who have an evil eye".

We knock on wood to disperse eveil.

Tuesday the 13th and not Friday is bad luck in Greece

cutting your nails on Wednesday and Friday brings bad luck.

Washing your hair on Sundays is also unlucky.

You should always enter a place by stepping your right foot in the doorway first.

Seeing three priests together is extreme bad luck

I hope these are not the same as Serene. If you need more please PM me.

19 Mar 2010     

vardaki
Cyprus

Tuesdays 13th are days of bad luck also in Cyprus ...
and if the morning of that day you see a black cat...

19 Mar 2010     

Makol
Russian Federation

Thank you very much!!!

20 Mar 2010