Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Some doubts...Are there native speakers on line??    

Some doubts...Are there native speakers on line??

a isabel
Portugal

Some doubts...Are there native speakers on line??

Good morning,

Could you please let me know your opinion on the following?
1) What is correct? We usually meet at/in/on/  the centre.
2                              He watches Tv every/ all evening.
3)                             Ideal Caf� is trendier/more trendy than Apollo Caf�.
4)                            Thieves wear gloves so that they don �t /won �t get caught.

Thanks a lot for your help!

20 Mar 2010      

jannabanna
France

We usually meet in the centre.  If you mean the centre of town for example.
He watches TV every evening (means that �s his habit each evening)
He watches TV all evening (means non-stop all evening)
trendier or more trendy - seem both to be correct.  English is often used by sound - I would say both (and I �m English by the way)
Thieves wear gloves so that they won �t get caught. (means to avoid getting caught)
Thieves wear gloves so that they don �t get caught. (is more a fact in general)  but they are very similar in meaning.

20 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

Also a native speaker and I agree with Janna!

We usually meet in the centre unless the centre is a building (ie Sports Centre) in which case I would say at.

every evening is a habit. I wouldn �t normally use all evening with the present simple as the present simple tends to refer more to habits and general truths. You �d be more likely to say He watched TV all evening.

trendier - the rule is generally that adjectives ending in -y become -ier.

The last one, Janna �s explanation is perfect - I would tend to say don �t get caught because the sentence appears to be making a generalisation. Use won �t when you are talking about something or someone more specific.

Hope that helps!

20 Mar 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Hi Isabel,
Def. not �on �.  I suggest you use �in � if you mean inside a shopping centre, or �at � if you mean outside the building, though in practice the two are used interchangeably. 
I agree with jannabanna re no. 2, 3 and 4, though I would add that �trendy � is a distinctly �untrendy � word nowadays unless you �re over a certain age!.  Most people would say �It �s not �in �. � In the given context, you�d probably use the word �fashionable�.

20 Mar 2010     

a isabel
Portugal

Thanks a lot for your so quick and clear reply.
Have a nice weekend!
Hugs

20 Mar 2010