Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Greek Colleagues    

Greek Colleagues

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Greek Colleagues

Hi guys, Greece is in the news a lot recently and I �m wondering exactly what is going on.

http://www.euronews.net/2010/03/24/germany-agrees-to-greek-help/

There it said the protests are about pensions, pay freezes and social welfare cuts, but they must be major..... because Ireland introduced an income levy, are trying to cut pensions, reduced the unemployment benefit by 50% in some cases, reduced student grants (which had not been increased in about 20 years and don �t cover food and rent let alone books) and a load of other things, not to mention they decided to redefine what was meant by "disabled" and kick a bunch of people off disability allowance, claiming they could work if they really wanted to. For the people i know this certainly is not the case, they would much prefer to be working if it was possible for them. They then actually had the audacity to brag about this, saying how much money was saved.

They �re also in talks about re-introducing fees for students and loads of other things.

What I �m saying is for it to be worse than in Ireland it must be really unbelievably bad, i don �t even know all the Ireland stuff because I haven �t lived there in 2 years. When I left the unemployment rate was 4% and now it �s 13% so I �m willing to admit i might be more than a little out of touch with everything that �s going on!

Don �t know if talking about this is against the rules so if someone can send me somewhere with more information that would make me happy too :)

I �m sure everyone reading this can say a lot about the miserable state of their economy :( But at the moment I �m particularly interested in Greece because of all the protests.

24 Mar 2010      

Greek Professor
Greece

Hello RabbitWho,

This is a controversial issue... and a very much discussed one...but I belive it preferable not to be discussed. Especially on this forum...

Sorry...

Greek Professor

24 Mar 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Talking about poitical or religious issues will guarantee a heated discussion. We should keep this kind of topic out of the forum. I know this issue is about students, but it will probably encourage other users to talk about more "delicate" topics. Just my 2 cents though! ;))

24 Mar 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

I only asked for more information, a link to another website or some facts about the changes and situation.

I asked that if you didn �t want to discuss it you could please link me to more information? I understand you don �t want to discuss or argue but you want to leave me in the dark?

24 Mar 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Dear RabbitWho, if I knew about any links to more information and facts, I would let you know but unfortunately I cannot help you, sorry!!

24 Mar 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Cool, that �s okay thanks.

Some people have sent me some great PMs and that �s the best I think :)

Best of luck to everyone in Greece and Happy Independence Day tomorrow. Greece is a beautiful country with wonderful people and there is still a lot to celebrate even in times like this.

Ours is near Easter too but we don �t really celebrate it because of all "the troubles" that followed.

24 Mar 2010     

vardaki
Cyprus

Greece is a beautiful country with wonderful people...
and
  great history  dear RabbitWho

24 Mar 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Vardaki if you want t make a comprehensive list of things that are great about Greece we �ll be here forever! 

25 Mar 2010