Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > past simple or continuous    

past simple or continuous

Halildurak
Turkey

past simple or continuous

Which one is correct?

She was cooking between 6  and 7 yesterday or

She cooked between 6  and 7yesterday.

25 Mar 2010      

Anutka
Russian Federation

It must be past continuous, because the action is shown in duration.

25 Mar 2010     

anaram
Spain

I think it depends on the context; if there is no more context I would say Anutka is right, but if, for example, I were talking about a sequence of actions I did yesterday and it took some time to complete them, I would use the present simple implying completed actions taking place in the past. I was cooking between 6 and 7 may imply that the action was not completed. If I need an alibi, then definitely I�d go for the progressive aspect.

25 Mar 2010     

kiaras
Mexico

Both are correct ( talking about correctness). The thing is what you really want to say:

She was cooking between 6 and 7- is past continuous and the idea is that at that specific point in the past, the action was taking place or it was in progress.

She cooked between 6 and 7- which is simple past, implies that the action began and finished between 6 and 7.
   It all depends on how you want or need to use it, instead!

25 Mar 2010