Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Why I īm thankful that ( X) is my mother tongue.....    

Why I īm thankful that ( X) is my mother tongue.....

colibrita
United Kingdom

Why I īm thankful that ( X) is my mother tongue.....

Sometimes I tell myself I īm so thankful that English is my mother tongue - it means I don īt have to study phrasal verbs or worry about how to use question tags. I do sympathise with English learners I really do.

What īs complicated about your language?? Why are you grateful you don īt have learn it?

25 Mar 2010      

carinaluc
Argentina

My mother tongue is Spanish.... and thanks God for it!!  That means I don īt have to rack my brains learning verb tenses and forms (each personal pronoun takes a particular form, which varies greatly from tense to tense and apart from that there are lots of irregular verbs!).  In my opinion, that īs the most difficult thing about my mother tongue.
Hugs
Carina

25 Mar 2010     

Ide_Bere
Mexico

I agree with Carinaluc, I think spanish is hard to learn due to the verb tenses... I know people who spanish is their mother tongue that cannot speak or write correctly. 

I love spanish and enlgish languages....

Bere

25 Mar 2010     

Stellam
Argentina

Ja Ja! I agree with Carina and Bere. Spanish Irregular Verbs are a nightmare! Another thing I īm so grateful I don īt have to learn is the gender of common inanimate nouns. They are really taugh to grasp.
Big hugs
Stella

25 Mar 2010     

mimau
France

I am French.I am sure it is one of the most difficult languages one could ever learn.Loads of exceptions .No logic whatsoever!

25 Mar 2010     

baiba
Latvia

My native language Latvian is rare and is used by a handful of people in the world.

Foreigners say it is one of the most difficult languages because there are declinations and conjugations, there are short and long vowels (marked with a line above the letter, like ā), hard and soft consonants (marked with kind of a comma below the letter or a sign above the letter, like ņ, �). No wonder, many non-native people never learn the language.

So, you may be lucky that you don īt have to learn it!

25 Mar 2010     

mariamit
Greece

OK. My native language are both English and Greek. That is I have been biligual since birth. English is easy for me always has been . Greek is a nightmare. I have lived in Greece for an odd twenty years now and I still make terrible mistakes.  Everything about the language is difficult. That īs probably why the phrase "It īs Greek to me" makes complete sense.

25 Mar 2010     

priorita
Ukraine

my mother tongue is Russian, but even if it wasn īt I would master it not because it is easy just because learning languages is state of mind and way of life, I think. Forget about irregular verbs - in Russian (and Ukrainian) there are three genders and six cases, and all the nouns and numerals change according to the cases, and the adjectives - to the genders and cases.  
I know English, Ukrainian (there are tons of similar words with Russian but huge amount of citizens have problems with grammar), Greek and German (have almost forgotten it and badly need practice Big smile). For me, English is the easiest among them.

25 Mar 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Maria, I think the Greek alphabet alone can scare people to death. I would say Russian is also intimidating because of the Cyrillic alphabet (but I know the language very well). I cannot even imagine myself learning Arab languages....

25 Mar 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

Russian, oh, so grateful that i know it. SO many rules and even more exceptions. How people study it, i īve got no clue...

25 Mar 2010     

priorita
Ukraine

baiba, study Turkish (it īs in Latin/Roman alphabet), and you will understand some of the Arabs

25 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >