Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Punishment    

Punishment

vardaki
Cyprus

Punishment

Hi friends!!!
Are there any schools that allow teachers to punish their students by giving them slap or something else (violence) in response to disobedience, defiance, rude behavior...?  Here, the government rules are very strict! We are allowed to do nothing! This is not bad. We are teachers and we have to be patience.

Have a nice day!

31 Mar 2010      

renko6
Poland

Hi vardaki!
The punishment doesn �t exist in Polish schools and the government�s rules in my country are very strict, too. We can do NOTHING but students can do everything. We are teachers and we are older than our students so we have to use our brain not our hands Smile. The only punishment can be more homework Smile
Have a nice day Wink !

31 Mar 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

One of my students is also a teacher, she once lost her temper and hit a student on the back of the head. She was terrified she would loose her job, but it turns out he was so used to being hit at home that he didn �t even realize there was something strange.

The students, good and "bad", are the reasons for teaching, not interruptions of it.

Also hitting you�re saying "I�m stronger so i can hit you" so when he�s 18 it will be perfectly reasonable for him to come back and repay the favour.

31 Mar 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

My motto is: if you find enough ways to motivate your ss, there �s no need for punishment!! ;)

31 Mar 2010     

marcella8161
Italy

The first thing to keep discipline is to establish a good relationship with the students, as a class and individually. How much do we know about our students � background?

Personally I think that physical punishments show our weakness and provoke revenge, anger, disappointment from both sides. Nothing good, then.
There are other kind of punishments that are better and useful: if we create a good relationship, the only fact of limiting or diminishing the relation with some students, it �s enough to make them think and change attitude. Of course it �s not easy and quick, but it works very well and everywhere. Students need to be understood and helped to overcome their problems as well. It �s not only to teach a subject... there �s a lot more we have to do. We are building the future people of our society.

31 Mar 2010     

renko6
Poland

It �s true - when you have  good relations with your students you don �t need to punish them. I talk with my students about everything, not only about English. I always try to give them my advices and I listen them carefully. I really don �t have the problem with them and they often visit me at home. We sometimes spend  a lot of time together and we talk about life not only school

31 Mar 2010