Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Teaching: An Art or Science    

Teaching: An Art or Science

Nebal
Lebanon

Teaching: An Art or Science

Hello wonderful teachers,

How are you all?? Missed this forum board!!!
I need your opinion regarding this topic:

Good teachers strike a balance between the art of and science teaching. 
1-How do they do it? 
2- Are they born with the right type of personality? 
3- Are they the product of good teacher education programs?  Or is some combination of these elements at work? 

If you believe that both factors play a role, which do you feel is most important?

Thanks a lot for your cooperation. I do appreciate it.
Hugs,
Nebal

31 Mar 2010      

GGman
Canada

Hello Nebal,

First, let me say there are a few gramatical errors.
Let �s correct them first.

Good teachers strike a balance between the "art and science of teaching."
                                                              or   the "art of and science of teaching."

Next, the 3 questions are not really related to one another.
I suggest number 1 not have any number beside it because it is the MAIN question
followed by possible answers in number 2 and 3. Two and three are answering
the question asked by number 1 - so change them to number 1 and 2.

Number 3 - Or is IT a combination ... Or are they ( they being the teachers)

The question "If you believe both factors ( do you mean number 2 and 3 as factors?
                                                              meaning both personality AND education?)

Clarity is important. I personally like your question and I studied it in Teacher �s Training
in University. It made me think and suppose you will present this to your teachers in training too.  I suggest you explain what the "art" of teaching and "science" of teaching
is. Good luck.

31 Mar 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Welcome back, Neby! I do hope you get better soon... Let �s see...

First of all, I agree with the statement.
They manage to teach something complicated in a very simple way, make it fun and/or interesting and are able to plant the knowledge so it stays for life, by knowing and taking into consideration the abilities, needs, feelings and challenges his/her students have.
I do believe it has to be the right personality - I have seen very intelligent and educated people attend wonderful educative teacher training seminars who have never felt inclined, or managed to implement the ideas in their lessons. Like everything else, good teaching also requires a certain charisma. (Everyone in our lives is a teacher for us in something, we just have to be willing to learn.) Good education programmes can certainly help, because I have also trained people who became good teachers through workshops, watching others teachers in action, listening to advice, which also proves that a good teacher always has to also stay the student, i. e. never think he/she knows everything... Someone who is born with the personality of a teacher, but doesn �t choose to take up that profession, will always be able to teach people in his/her lives sth unaware of it, but a professional teacher needs and wants more new skills, because he/she wants to improve his/her teaching skills and repertoire.  
All in all, it is always a combination of more than one element! Everything in life is! None is more important than the other - it �s an intricate blend of personality, education, sensibility and inclination!

31 Mar 2010