Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Awesome worksheets by allakoalla    

Awesome worksheets by allakoalla

cheezels
New Zealand

Awesome worksheets by allakoalla

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=133066#thetop

I just had to message everyone after I had seen  this worksheet. I have never written in the forum about someone else�s work, but I had to after seeing this one.
This is an awesome resource. Set out excellently with a test and answer key for all of the many exercises.
I just felt sad that nearly no one had downloaded it, maybe because it doesn�t have pretty or colourful pictures to grab your attention. But the content is really good.
I know that its human nature to be attracted to the worksheets with colour and effects, but they often don�t have quality content to live up to their pretty appearance.
No one has asked me to write in... I just thought that maybe as a community we need to sometimes look past the pretty pictures and take a closer look at the content. Anyone can download and stick in a cute picture, but it takes hard work to make a resource that uses a lot of written content.

Also this user I have seen always takes the time to leave a nice comment.
I hope that you will take a look at this resource!

**apologies to allakoalla if I have embarrassed you Tongue

20 Nov 2008      

terraview
Hungary

I never take nice pictures into consideration. I teach secondary school students. They do not need any garfield os flowers on the page. I always look at the content or whether I can use it on my lesson or not. My students want to take a final exam at the secondary school and a language exam. Sometimes I feel that the pictures are only used to fill the empty space on the pages so that less exercise or sentences are needed... though young learners might enjoy the pictures near their exercises.

20 Nov 2008     

mena22
Portugal

Good morning to you all and to you, Cheezels, in particular! Thanks for calling my attention for this resource. It is very complete indeed and I hadn�t had the time  to look at it yet! It has a very good mixture of phrasal verbs, prepositional verbs and adjectives+prepositions, which I have a tendency to teach separatedly. As a matter of fact, I�ve been working on a worksheet on Prepositional verbs, but I�ve been too busy.

As to your generalization  - worksheets with colour and effects often don�t have quality content to live up to their pretty appearance - I�m afraid I must disagree with you on this. For me, aesthetics, design is essential indeed, I can�t just help it..., but a worksheet or any other resource with poor content, no matter how beautiful I find it, is worthless to me and, I believe, to most of us. I think most teachers are critical of their own work as well as of other people�s work. There are indeed some very well designed worksheets in this site with a poor or no content at all, but here are also  some worksheets with no design at all that have no content either. It�s up to us to check!

Please don�t take this personally. I just don�t think it�s fair to generalize! We really don�t have facts, evidence to do that!

Wishing you a wonderful day from warm Azores!

20 Nov 2008     

pepelie
United Kingdom

I absolutely agree with the both of you. I don�t work with children at the moment but have found wonderful worksheets on this site for my "big children". However, I have had to remove pictures so that they aren�t seen as childish. Content is always better

20 Nov 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

I really don�t mean to offend anyone! And I certainly don�t mean every or all, and yes there are a lot of extremely well designed worksheets on this site. Especially for the younger children or children that need pictures to help their understanding.  BUT I have noticed though that SOME with pretty pictures and very little content get downloaded a lot compared to sometimes better content but without the pretty border etc....
 I am just making the point that anyone can find a website with cool pics and place them on a page, but it takes real effort to sit and write out scores of activities and information in a clear and useful way like the poster has done. I was really impressed with her effort and just wanted to point out a really good resource. :-)
I really love this website and don�t want to offend or hurt anyone�s feelings!

20 Nov 2008     

silvanija
Lithuania

Hello all. I teach young learners and I can say that a good picture is one of the essential parts for them. It encourages speaking and writing. I used to make simple additional tasks with text  for them and only here I realised how wonderful they can be. Also it is not so easy to find appropriate pictures on the net or it takes a lot of time. I am always happy to find them here and I just add the text I need.

20 Nov 2008