Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > S.O.S. Problems defining a term!!!    

S.O.S. Problems defining a term!!!

Mar0919
Mexico

S.O.S. Problems defining a term!!!

Dear All... as always, I know here I will receive the help I need defining this term: multiple matching. I am doing some research between the Cambridge ESOL Examinations and a software program for learning English. My job is to see how compatible these two are regarding content. That is, if the software in any way serves as practice for students who will take these examinations. Not that the program prepares them, but at least is somehow related in terms of content.
I �ve heard of multiple choice, etc, but had never heard of multiple matching. I googled it, and the sample exercise that came out, for me, was just multiple choice....
Can someone explain in plain simple English????

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!

MAR

10 Apr 2010      

Mar0919
Mexico

I �m sorry... I don �t know why my message doubled!

10 Apr 2010     

Ahlam
Bahrain

Salam

matching type - type of test wherein there will be two columns of words. you have find from the second column the word that best describes the word from the first.

multiple choice - there will be question and there answers provided. you have to choose which is the correct one.

Check this link too:

Regards

10 Apr 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

Dear Ahlam, thank you for your prompt response, and for the link. Am I correct to assume that multiple choice is choosing an answer from: a, b, or c... and multiple matching is choosing from several possible answers, which can at a given time, be used more than once?

Best regards!

Mar

10 Apr 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Mar, you are right with the multiple choice.

For example: �Did you .............. Ann yesterday?

� � � �(a) �seen � � � � �(b) see � � � �(C) saw

Concerning multiple matching - have a look at the "Rock the Boat" exercise from the worksheet Alham sent you a link to. It is choosing from several possibilities, but each of them can be used only once and fits to only 1 place.

For example: Find and match opposites � � �black � � � �small

� � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �� �tall � � � � � white

� � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �� �big � � � � � �sad

� � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �happy � � � � short

Hope it �s fully clear. Have a nice day:-)

10 Apr 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

Dearest Mish.cz.... THANK YOU!!!!!  yes, it �s clear now! and here all  my life, I just called that simply MATCHING.... LOL! why complicate things so much.... oh, well, that �s language!!!!

Cheers!

Mar

10 Apr 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

I call it that simply as well:-) glad I could help you. �Hugs

10 Apr 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

HI all !  I just wanted to give you this link
for you to check an example of Multiple Matching (Reading part, FCE exam).
I hope it �s even clearer now!

10 Apr 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you Alicia! You are all sooooooooooo sweet and generous, sharing your time and ideas!  Thanks again!!!!

Mar

10 Apr 2010