Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > More generosity........    

More generosity........

Mariethe House
France

More generosity........

I have been wanting to write for some time about this problem of"stealing" worksheets.
We all,the majority of us, teach kids , don�t we? We are supposed to teach them but also educate them � or maybe  i am wrong!) . Without being perfect, don�t we have the  responsability  of being some sort of a model for them?
What do I mean? I think, those who make a big deal about �stolen� worksheets shouln�t! After all this site is an image of humanity with the strong ones ( those who are very professional, gifted etc.) on one side and the not so strong, not so professional ,not so  etc.. on the other side!.  So why couldn�t it be more open, more sincere, i.e.
- If someone has more than, let�s say, a thousand points, he can download as many worksheets as he/she will need for the rest of his / her life!! and of course, runs the risk to have his / her worksheets stolen! It just means those people are good and when you see a cream cake in front of you ( I love cream cakes!!) you want a piece even if you haven�t paid for it!

I don�t see if you see my point but if we want this site to be really honest, maybe, we can learn to ASK!!!

ASK for what? To Be GENEROUS!�Well, someone has got many points.... this other member hasn�t got many ,He  isn�t so professional as i am... I will accept that she or he will ASK me to download some of his / her worksheets, thus giving him/ her  some more points ! i have seen it done on the site ( at least asked) and I think it would avoid all( some of ) the stealing and the bad feelings about it.

I once � stole � a worksheet... I am not proud of it and I would much rather ask the person , if she has many points, if she will please help me  somehow get more points because I am not so good as she is!! ( i am not very efficient but I am going to spend some of my free time with a friend who�s going to teach me about using the writer and .... just you wait for my worksheets!! ( lol!)

Let�s not encourage the rat race!

Kind regards to everyone and have a nice wekend;

21 Nov 2008      

Spanglish girl
Argentina

Hi Meriethe!!! I agree with, and I also would like to share this experience: a member from this site aked to provide him some material fro teaching, but I didn�t have worksheets made by myself on the topics he/she needed, and I really thought it would be unfair to send him/her the materail on those topics that I had downloaded from this site. Unfair why?, because those worksheets belonged to other people. So, I suggested this person downloading his/her worksheets in order to give him the chance to have points and download material. 
I�m not one of those people who have really "plenty" of points, but I have many point available, so I could help one person who really needed it.
Your idea is very good.

21 Nov 2008     

Mariethe House
France

thank you very much Anita.. You sound a very generous person! thank you again.

21 Nov 2008     

sirah
Argentina

Hi girls!! I couldn�t agree more with you! Whenever I can I help new members become a premium one.I don�t forget that I was a new member someday.

21 Nov 2008     

Spanglish girl
Argentina

wow!! sorry for the mistakes, reading my post I see what I�ve writen, that happens when you write too fast LOL,
Yes, it�s a good idea to help new members, I hope we all do this!!

21 Nov 2008     

Mariethe House
France

thank you very much Sirah! It really comforts my heart to find such  nice and generous people !

21 Nov 2008     

marcia chaves
Brazil

Hi!!
I agree with you!
Whenever I can I help new members become a premium one.
If you need any help, call me.

Hugs from Brazil

21 Nov 2008     

Mariethe House
France

thanks Marcia! I Will call you!

21 Nov 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

hi Marie,

I am not sure how members of this website could be more generous. 
They already:

1) Create wonderful worksheets to teach their students
2) Share these worksheets with everyone else with no payment
3) Provide free advice and support to their colleagues on this website.
4) Provide encouragement and motivation to other people
5) Email their worksheets to people who send them private messages requesting them.
6) Write tutorials or provide advice to help people develop excellent worksheets enabling them to get their 30 points.
7) Recommend websites to help other people
8) Create resources when people ask for particular subjects
9) I could go on all day.

I think it is a little bit much to ask us to stop resenting people who steal from us.

21 Nov 2008     

Mariethe House
France

i understand your point of view  I agree with you that most people are extremely generous..; But maybe they are not the ones who complain about stolen worksheets.
Anyway, I have just understood that if one is really desperate, one can ask through private messages! thank you very much and I will ask you if in need and if you will accept to help me! 

21 Nov 2008     

wolfy
Chile

An Interesting point. �We all try to help, I think. �But sometimes we make mistakes, Other people too sometimes make mistakes, do we jump on those mistakes and point the finger, or try to help. �I once read somewhere that behaviour breeds behaviour. �Which for me meant that people will eventually react to me the way I react to them. �So if we keep helping, others will see this and do the same. �I know that, even though I don�t know any of you, I feel a contact with some members, because they helped me, because they left a nice message, or because they created a really great worksheet. �I try to make new members welcome. �There will always be somw who take advantage, but given time even these will want to be part of this community and start reacting differently.

22 Nov 2008     

1    2    Next >