Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Why so many great contributions by teachers from hispanophone/lusophone countries and Eastern Europe?    

Why so many great contributions by teachers from hispanophone/lusophone countries and Eastern Europe?

Tecus
Hungary

Hi,
I have also been wondering whether it is just pure chance that from some countries there are so many marvellous worksheet creators. We will never know and I think what matters is that all those who have become members of this community learn a lot and improve a lot and are happy to share their work with others. 
I have been creating worksheets and other resources for my students for a long time; in the language school where I teach the adult students begged me to put aside the textbooks and use only my handouts; I was impressed but of course it is a big responsibility which I enjoy. Moreover, Hungary is a very exam-conscious country (you can �t get your degree or diploma unless you have one or two language exams), so I have to provide my students with a lot of practice sheets.
I can � tell you how grateful I am to all of you for you support and inspiration. I think I improved a lot not only in the layout of my worksheets. Thanks!
Have a wonderful Sunday!
Tecus

17 Apr 2010     

libertybelle
United States

That is a really hard question to answer.
Just a suggestion:

Lots of schools in Europe have good text books with workbooks and grammar books and
don �t need to make extra worksheets, because they have all they need.

Then there are schools in some countries that can �t afford or don �t want to use money on textbooks. This I know from some of the members here.
In fact some members have written that they have to pay for photocopies for their students out of their own pocket!  So that might be a reason.  But I really don �t know.

18 Apr 2010     

lovemykids
Uruguay

Luckily, here in Uruguay we have access to great coursebooks but I agree with the ones that claim that, though the books are quite well, students need extra motivation and undoubtedly, these worksheets are an excellent source of it. They consider them really interesting as they very much like to work on extra material and not only with the set textbooks. Congratulations on your creativity and thanks for sharing your excellent work with us, especially with the ones that are not so skilful at the computer!!! LOL

18 Apr 2010     

dturner
Canada

Necessity is the mother of Invention.  I think that if you are in an unique position without a lot of resources you tend to make your own.  As well, if the class(es) you teach are not necessarily the norm, you also need to create WS to help your students.  And there are many on this website who simply like to create as Mena said, for her, it is her relaxation.  I too am so impressed with the quality of English shown by the non-native speakers on this site.  I think, at times, native speakers think they know better, and perhaps sometimes they do as they don �t have to think too much about how to phrase a sentence or what prepositions to use.  But that is only one small aspect of teaching a language.  When I first started studying Japanese (and later teaching it -- albeit at a very simple level to young students) there were non-native and native speaker �s issues.  In terms of teaching English, if this site is any indication of the quality, knowledge and keen interest of the non-native English speaking teachers out there, I must say that their students are very lucky to have them.

18 Apr 2010     

flaviatl
Argentina

Well, I work in a bilingual school and it �s really hard to find a good text book.
The ones designed for learners of English are too easy for stds in bilingual schools and the ones for native speakers are either too difficult or the focus and approach are totally different-

I don �t know if that �s a reason or not. We might be generalizing too much, don �t you think?

18 Apr 2010     

< Previous   1    2