Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > English Books in School Library    

English Books in School Library

ynroko1
Slovenia

English Books in School Library

Good evening/day to everybody.

I �m in charge to establish "English Library" at our school. That means I have to provide a list of English fiction and infomational books that can be used in lessons as a reading comprehension, reading projects or just for reading for fun.
Students are from 8-15 years old.

It �s a kind of a project where we �d like to provide a wide range of good books on different levels, that students would like to read them.
We all know that there are many students who "hate" reading books just because they have difficulties with reading.

It would be very kind of you if you can give me some suggestions what books are higly accepted, interesting and loved by your students.

Thank you in advance.

Y.

23 Apr 2010      

lshorton99
China

Have you looked at readers? They �re specially graded books for a variety of levels. Most publishers have a set - if you contact people like Macmillan, Pearson Longman, CUP and OUP, I �m sure they �d send you samples to look at! That way, you can choose the ones you think are most interesting.

23 Apr 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi ynroko
How I wish that I could help you.
First and last: we don �t have an "English Library"
Even so, and speaking about something I can �t fancy ( my school is decades far away, BACK ), my idea, why don �t you browse / google so many wonderful publishing sites? I think you can find there tons of wonderful materials.
About students who don �t like reading, well, that �s another story, that, in fact, <i know quite well.
I know I didn �t give an answer, but just a kind of support  - hard task you havve.
Hugs, i+ m ooff it �s half pat one  a.m. I �m in rags.

Good luck to you
linda

23 Apr 2010     

ameliarator
United States

Although some of the made-up words might be difficult, I recommend books by Roald Dahl.  Also the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series, Little House series, Stewart Little, and Mrs. Frisbee and the Rats of NIHM are good.  
If you want to build up a general library you could look at lists of Newbery Medal winners.  
If you are more interested in building interest in reading you could try comic books/graphic novels or some of the series like "Goosebumps" or "Boxcar Children" (although these examples are a little dated).

Good luck!

23 Apr 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

My 9 year old son loves Horrid Henry.

23 Apr 2010