Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A doubt    

A doubt

male206
Argentina

A doubt

Hello everyone!
I have a doubt and I haven`t been able to find the answer. Could anyone tell me what the superlative form of "good looking" is? Is it the most good looking man or the best looking man? Thanks in advance!

23 Apr 2010      

tancredo
Portugal

I think it is the most good-looking man.
Good-looking is a compound adjective . It has nothing to do with good alone.
But I could do with the information provided by a native colleague here in the forum.
Hellooooooooo!!

23 Apr 2010     

serene
Greece

I �m not a native speaker but here �s what I think.

Some compound adjectives have a first element consisting of an adjective which would normally form a comparative or superlative in one word, either by adding -er/-est, or by an irregular form. Such compound adjectives can therefore form a comparative/superlative by using these changes to the first adjective, rather than by using more/most, e.g.:
good-looking, better-looking, the best-looking
long-lasting, longer-lasting, the longest-lasting
low-paid, lower-paid, the lowest-paid
(from http://www.onestopenglish.com/section.asp?docid=144846 )

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/good-looking

23 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

Serene has summed up what I was about to say (I �m a native speaker). I would say, for example, �Johnny Depp is the best-looking man on the planet. � (and I have said it frequently!)

23 Apr 2010     

Alicia del c.
Argentina

I think, I would say: THE BEST GOOD-LOOKING MAN because good-looking is an adjective

23 Apr 2010     

yanogator
United States

Best-looking is definitely the best answer, but most good-looking doesn �t sound unnatural. You could avoid it all by saying handsomest.

Bruce

23 Apr 2010     

MyFairy
Argentina

Hi, Ale! When I have a doubt like this, I google the possible answers... to see which is the most popular!!!
And the winner was... BEST good-looking and BEST-good looking!!! But Most good-looking... does not exist!!!
See you... soon!!!
I �ve sent you a PM!!!
Love,

23 Apr 2010     

douglas
United States

Serene explains it perfectly!

From the "best looking man" in my little town of 300 people Wink

Douglas

23 Apr 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi everyone

Here �s my 2 cents worth ...

Best-looking is, imho, the grammatically correct answer but most good-looking is perfectly acceptable too, especially in informal conversation.  I hear both forms often and when I googled it I found these references

Oh, and Lyndsey, I agree about Johnny Depp being a good looker but how about the gorgeous Hugh Jackman in terms of best-looking actors Question

Cheers

Jayho

23 Apr 2010     

male206
Argentina

THANKS A LOT!!!! You`ve been all really helpful, "best-looking boys and girls"!

24 Apr 2010