Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > English teacher or teacher of English?    

English teacher or teacher of English?

magdita
Argentina

English teacher or teacher of English?

Hi everyone! I would like to know if it �s correct to say "English teacher"(not meaning the nationality but a teacher who gives English classes)or Does it depend on the stress you give the compound?
Thanks in advance!

5 May 2010      

melahel7
Canada

I don �t see any problem with � �English teacher � �.  We also use � �ESL teacher � � here in Quebec.

5 May 2010     

lshorton99
China

I �m an English English teacher! Yes - it is completely correct to say English teacher. Generally if we are talking about nationality we say �I �m English - and I �m a teacher. �

Lindsey

5 May 2010     

Chriss-MX
Mexico

Teaher of English

OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!

5 May 2010     

agostine_
Brazil

I don �t understand why Chriss-MX said "of course!!!!!!!!!" ... If you look on articles, papers, webpages you see "english teacher". On thefreedictionary.com you find:

ThesaurusLegend:  Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Noun 1. English teacherEnglish teacher - someone who teaches English          
instructor, teacher - a person whose occupation is teaching
When you type "teacher of english" there are no results. On the other hand, you find both ways on the internet and books. If you check TESOL and British Council websites, you �re going to read "teacher of english" for those people who teach this language. 
Well, I prefer saying "english teacher, but I think both forms are correct.

Hugs, 

5 May 2010     

Chilvis
Argentina

I �ve always heard and read English teacher, but I think teacher of English is also possible.

So, if the original question is if you can say English teacher meaning the person who teaches English and whose nationality is not English the answer is definitely yes!

5 May 2010     

magdita
Argentina

Thank you so much! yOU?VE BEEN SO HELPFUL!

5 May 2010