Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > compensate for = make a compensation???    

compensate for = make a compensation???

intra
Poland

compensate for = make a compensation???

Hi, dear Teachers, especially native speakers of English Wink
How to paraphrase:

I sent her a present to compensate for my bad behaviour. MAKE
I sent her a present to ____________________ my bad behaviour.

I �m sure the answer must be: make up for, but is make a compensation for possible? Personally, I don �t think so, but I have to clarify it. I suppose make a compensation for refers only to cash indemnity, so is incorrect here. Right?

8 May 2010      

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Hi Intra,
make up for - correct
make amends for - correct
compensate for  (no �a �) - correct but it sounds like a business arrangement

make compensation for  (no �a �) - frequently used for cash recompense but not necessarily: To make compensation for missing the class on Tuesday, the teacher stayed for an extra hour the following day. (Better to use the shorter �to compensate for � - shorter is preferable as a general rule of thumb.)

Hope this helps.

8 May 2010     

intra
Poland

Thank you, Ballycastle Smile That was a question in this year �s matura exam in my country and I suppose they wanted to check the knowledge of the phrasal verb, so there will be make up for in the answer key Wink

8 May 2010