Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Downloading Resources for Teaching purposes only???    

Downloading Resources for Teaching purposes only???

Vickiii
New Zealand

Downloading Resources for Teaching purposes only???

I have recently seen people giving permission to a person to download their printables and post them on their own website.  Of course you have the right to give permission to other people to use your printables.  I just question the ethics of downloading from this website to create a competing website.

Victor�s purpose for this website states the following:

"I�ve created this website with the objective of providing a large database of ESL printables, where you can find quickly and easily what you need for your lessons."

Maybe I am completely wrong in this.  But I do wonder how Victor feels about a person directing traffic from his forum to their own website where people can download the printables they have gathered from his website for free.  This will surely have an impact on the effectivenesss of this website.  Did this person stop to ask permission from the website owner?

Just thinking about the larger picture.  Please feel free to tell me why I am wrong.  I would especially like to hear from Victor (if and only if he wants to comment).

forever playing the devils advocate it would seem - Vicki

21 Sep 2008      

frenchfrog
France

Hi, Vickiii!

Personally, I don�t want to see my work on another site. I have �pledged allegiance� to my King (that�s Victor! LOL).
For me it is a question of loyalty / fidelity.
I want to keep sharing with many of you who have become more than mere virtual colleagues! I have nothing to do with total strangers...

Frenchfrog

21 Sep 2008     

frenchfrog
France

I forgot to add: "Long live King Victor!" LOL

21 Sep 2008     

karen1980
Mexico

I agree with you Vickii... I was reading about that but honestly I feel so happy in this site that i wouldnt like to see my wss in other place... (I respect other�s members opinion of course!!!)
You�re so nice for thinking about Victor�s thoughts and feelings... If I share my wss in other site..mmmmmm???? I don�t know, Its like a family you know? and I can only have one...This one :)
I insist... we can do anything with our work... but as vickii says...does she ask for Victor�s permission??? hope she did...its the right thing to do....
Regards from Mexico and thanks everyone for all your nice comments on my wss...you�re special people and excellent teachers :)
Karen Martinez

21 Sep 2008     

bentem
Norway

Hello Vickiii!
I am NOT trying to compete with anybody elses website. I just want to help fresh teachers who haven�t got the experience as a lot of the teachers on this site.
I know they don�t have anything to share yet, but I think they will be a member on this site when they have. They have seen all the worksheets that I have used from this site, and they think they are very nice.
I am sorry if you think I am trying to compete, but I can asure you that I am not.
My site is not a member site, and I think it�s only Norwegian teachers there.
Bente

21 Sep 2008     

bentem
Norway

Vickiii!
I forgot to tell you that noone is paying for any worksheet on my website. Have you visited it? Maybe you should so you can see for yourself that it is a "nice" website.
Bente

21 Sep 2008     

sirah
Argentina

Hi ! Vickii,Frenchfrog and Karen,I totally agree with you.I feel that I am part of a big family and that I need to be loyal to Victor.I don�t mean that the ones who want to share their wss in other site are wrong.I only think that I don�t like to see my wss in another site because I like sharing them with people like you and lots of other members  that are always creating great activities for their students.
I insist...we can do anything with our worksheets...but for the time being ...
as Frenchfrog says"Long Live King Victor"!

sunny kisses from Argentina

Patricia

21 Sep 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Yes I have visited - I always check before making comments.  I do think it is a very nice website and the intentions behind it are lovely.  I just think that good intentions do not always make our actions right.

I was very pleased to see that there were no advertising links on the page that you had directed people to see that contained the ESL downloadables.  There were links on other pages I wrongly assumed were revenue generating - I am so pleased to hear from you that it is only a link to another website you are trying to help out.

The whole point of this community is that we share with other teachers.  I have not yet seen anyone turned away when they have asked for help within the website - as is evident by the response you have received from other members. 

If a teacher can not contribute enough to get 30 points they are offered help by numerous teachers, myself included.  I have even edited work for teachers to assist them to to get their 30 points.  Any teacher that is using these printables in their class has enough English vocabulary to ask for help to be able to download the printables.  I do not see why they should be offered for free without any reciprocal action on another website.

This is my opinion, I think it has some validity and should be considered by others.  I am not making a personal attack on you - as I can see from your website that you are a wonderfully intentioned person that just wants to help.  I say again - Being well intentioned does not make something right.

BTW - I am just wondering why you did not offer help to the teacher looking for a Tin Soldier Story the other day - You have a very good script of this story on your website, maybe you did not see the request for help...   Maybe if all of your friends who are interested in the ESL printables had been members instead of getting the resources from another website - one of them could have directed Snowwhite to a really fabulous Tin Soldier story site. 

I would love to have a whole lot of Norwegian teachers  join this website - you have a rich culture which they could share with us to improve everyones teaching. We can help them create resources and they can help us.  that is how this site works...

21 Sep 2008     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello, Vickiii and all the other members that have already step ahead to give an opinion.
Hello Victor
First, let me say that, in my opinion, there are two people around, trying to do the same.
Second, let me say that I, personally, feel this subject in a very different way, so I have already given my permission, both of them, to use my printables, whenever they think they are useful for them.
Why ?
Because I like to share,
because here, in this wonderful site we are a large community of teachers, but we are all different ( fortunately)
because lots and lots of wonderful printables you upload here are not useful for my students, but for sure, are the very best for many of you
because if someone has a very specific site, directed to a determined average of learners, it would be easier to deal with the amount of information
because the more, the best
because I have always uploaded my printables in several sites
because these two people, and I have recently met one of them and I am convinced she is ONLY a teacher interested in doing the best for her students, have honestly asked for permission - so you either give it, or you don�t
because I think global knowledge , in internet, is the real way out to free people from "dark the dark side of life"
because in many countries it is very hard to work, and we must support those who try harder and harder
Because the more we spread knowledge, the farthest it will go
because the more you all know, the most you can all teach me
because I like to share
I don�t mind if other people use my things to improve their work with their students
I LIKE to be helped, I like to be useful
I HATE when you begin these kind of discussion
knowledge is not mine, or yours, or his. It should be ours and available to everyone.
These two teachers are not getting any profit, except for the one their students receive for having more and better material.
Please, let�s share and care.

21 Sep 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Olindalima, I completely respect you and your opinion and your helping ethic - it is a wonderful beacon of light in this sometimes vicious world.

I also think a bit of debate on these sorts of ethics is always interesting...

21 Sep 2008     

frenchfrog
France

But it is so easy to get 30 points, it is so easy to get help from so many members, so why not simply join us?!!!!
I think none of us questions (I think in the US you say "None of us question" without the -S, right?) the purpose / intention / legitimacy of these sites. They have a right to exist but I think it is better if they upload their own materials only. If they like what we do, they can simply add a link to eslprintables!
Frenchfrog

21 Sep 2008     

1    2    3    4    Next >