Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Is it just me?????????????    

Is it just me?????????????

bill24
Thailand

Is it just me?????????????

Is it just me or????????.........Most of the worksheets here are great,and very well thought out.My problem is when I copy a worksheet I must do it in black and white and many of these fancy designs,borders,stars,colour pictures,will just not copy so that they can are clearly visible to the students.They are also a nightmare and very time consuming to edit to BOLD black and white In Word.Any comments or is it just me.Cheers..Bill

13 May 2010      

luglena
Ukraine

the same with me ((( all of them are colorful and great, and sometimes you really have to edit everything > make a printer friendly version, but it doesn �t take me long, and anyhow i save the original variant as well

we need most of them to inspire us, to use some of the ideas and you will surely not print everything you download

though some worksheets really have some extra color, I would notice them even without it, but......noone is perfect

13 May 2010     

dturner
Canada

I agree with you.  Some of the sheets look fantastic on a computer monitor but don �t print/transfer well onto a black and white presentation.  I try to think of this when I �m choosing colours and thinking of presentation.  I �m wondering, does everyone have a colour printer or do the majority of us use black and white.  

13 May 2010     

teachertonyinchina
China

The school I am at in China, has external bottles of ink outside of the printer. All we do is top them up now and again with cheap ink, the result is colour printing costs very little.

13 May 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

I can print in color but I can only make black and white copies. That is why I design my ws ( not all of my other activities) for black and white printing. Even grayscale versions that people sometimes mistakenly consider black and white versions don�t always copy well. Also, I have some students that are color blind.

Unfortunately, colorful ws tend to attract more downloaders, it is also true for ws that are uploaded in landscape format, they don �t show as big on the recent contributions page as the portrait-formatted ones.

Now and then my students even complain about ws with too many pictures, they would rather have more space to write their solutions.

I no longer download ws that I have to re-design, for whatever reason.

Regards

13 May 2010     

deeedee
Spain

I think a little bit of decoration is nice but a worksheet that has more pictures than work in it is not very useful to me and does not print well in black and white.  I nearly always edit these if I use them.  Nevertheless, there must be a lot of people who like them because a lot of people make them! When I �m looking for a worksheet I usually just scroll down to the simpler ones. This is not really a problem because you can find all kinds due to the number and variety of contributors.  Perhaps it would be nice if there were a way to separate the colored versions from those in black and white, but I can understand that might be a lot of work for Victor.

13 May 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

I keep asking for less colour, less frames, less pictures, more content - but to no avail.

People here only go for what is glary, colourful, full of little pictures and icons even if they have nothing to do with the topic of the worksheet. Sometimes I have to remove a dozen little elves or shamrocks off one single worksheet ... in my country and my type of school these little pictures would seem ridiculous to the students.
And dark backgrounds, large frames etc. are useless on black and white copiers.

That is why I download hardly anything at all these days.
That is why I am frustrated that people don �t download my printables - they are probably much too sober for the "general taste" of this site.
My initial enthusiasm has completely left me... Cry

13 May 2010     

s.lefevre
Brazil

As pretty as the colourful backgrounds are, I always remove them because it is very expensive to print. I agree that sometimes there are so many pictures that the member has to use very small fonts to write the exercises. I always edit the worksheet, taking  off some pictures and enlarging  the fonts because children tend too loose concentration if the text or the exercise is  difficult to read.

13 May 2010     

ignis.fatuus
Poland

i totally agree. sometimes i spend half an hour changing the whole layout of a worksheet. too many pictures, frames etc. for me the simplier the worksheet is the better. i teach a lot of different classes, some of them with several students and i �m a freelance teacher, which means that i pay for all the materials myself.

13 May 2010     

Vernica
Belgium

Just one little thingGeek
Have you tried to set your printer to print just in B&W? Well maybe it sounds a little silly, but it �s the way I do it.
Kind regards to all of you

13 May 2010     

izulia
China

I agree with the majority of the previous posts. Colourful backgrounds and pictures look great on the computer screen, but pretty bad in black and white version.
Also the young students like to colour the pictures if there is time, but it �s not possible if everything is either colourful or grey.

13 May 2010     

1    2    Next >