Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Silly actions by the teacher    

Silly actions by the teacher

Ide_Bere
Mexico

Silly actions by the teacher

Hi, I just want to tell you about what happened to me yesterday at class because it was really funny and made me wonder if you had done the same.

We were talking about the present perfet and I thought it might be a good idea to draw a time line to explain it Tongue. I was drawing it and at the present I drew a teen (stick pics, you know what I mean right?? I draw awful by the way Confused) and at the past I drew a baby, but I didn �t know what to draw in the future since the pic of a grown up would look like the teen one. So I decided to draw a cross representing that we one day in the future would die... Thumbs Down My teen class started complaining about the cross since they didn �t want to draw it in their notebook Wacko, they encouraged me to draw an old person with a cane and even though it didn �t look like a real old person they were happy Approve. They laughed a lot but they understood what I was traying to illustrate with the time line.

Have you ever been in a situation like this? The encouraged me to improve my drawings and had fun at the same time.

Bere

14 May 2010      

asesinocerebral
Costa Rica

it sounds like a movie ;therefore, I suggest that you should talk with a filmmaker

14 May 2010     

Ide_Bere
Mexico

I think your comment is kind of rude. I was trying to share something with other teachers.

14 May 2010     

crisferpi
Spain

Don �t worry about his comment Bere, I think your experience is very useful.

14 May 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Hi Bere, your story is very nice.

I do not have experiences to share but I enjoyed reading you :)

14 May 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Kids can always teach us new stuff and make us improve our skills. I must say I often use drawing in my classes (never had this particular problem, but it �s interesting what kids draw and ask you to draw when you teach body partsEmbarrassed), and I �ve gotten used to drawing stuff very simply thanks to my sts. I have had comments from them for some of my drawings - kids can really deflate our egos!!! But once you get past that and learn from it, and show them that you can laugh at your own expense, it actually turns out to be a great experience. Kids have to know teachers are not perfect (they respect us more like that), but they also have to know we �ll try to be better at sth to be able to be a better teacher or person - LEAD BY EXAMPLE! We can sometimes teach them more about life with our sideline reactions, with stuff we say or do to react to the little stuff. Thanks for sharing...

14 May 2010     

Poohbear
Germany

I �m terrible at drawing myself. I have found myself looking at my own drawings from the previous lesson (if the pupils forgot to wipe the board...) and have to admit they are not very talented, or even weird.
Since then I have started
a) asking the gifted pupild to draw sth for me or
b) - more frequent - making fun of myself, saying something like "You know, I �m the world �s best artist, here comes another masterpiece...."
While a) is usually too time-consuming, BUT sometimes gives me useful tips how to draw something "effectively", b) mostly works out better. I don �t feel insulted by my pupils laughing, and they see that every person has their weaknesses.
So as you described, dear Bere, humour and laughter usually do the trick. (And you are NOT alone)
Have a great weekend!

14 May 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

I know exactly what you mean, dear Bere.

I cannot draw at all yet I use drawings all the time. Even thought I always warn my students, they always have to keep their bellies shaking from laughter when I draw something. But still they say the drawings help them a lot, so I will stick to them. Wink

14 May 2010     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Nice stories.

15 May 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

I have something similar when I write Hebrew translations on the board. I don �t always spell things correctly, which my students find very funny. They tend to try and sneak up to the board and correct the spelling...A good side effect is that it shows students that I too, have to learn things and that it is not the end of the world if you make a  mistake, it works nicely to lessen the pressure ..
As to drawing...A few days ago I  drew a face while teaching facial parts and one of my students commented that I drew a very ugly person, I was really proud of my quick comeback; She might be ugly but you see, also ugly people have two ears, two eyes, one nose and one mouth!

15 May 2010     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Good comeback. Smile

15 May 2010