Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > first lesson for a group of beginners, any ideas?    

first lesson for a group of beginners, any ideas?

ignis.fatuus
Poland

first lesson for a group of beginners, any ideas?

hi!
on Friday i �m starting to teach a new group of beginners. all i know is that it �s a group of five adults and they �ll be meeting once a week, for 1,5 hour. i want the first lesson to be fun and i want the students to feel comfortable. i was thinking about playing lots of games, but since they don �t know each other i don �t want them to feel uncomfortable. what �s more, i don �t know a lot of games for beginners.
any ideas?
i will be grateful :)
hugs from Poland
martyna 

25 May 2010      

caroay
Spain

Hi Martyna!
A game that has worked for me is to show students that they really know more than they think they do.
I play "taboo" with international English words (taxi, internet, etc.) Basically, they have to play in two groups and I give them word cards containing the words I chose and also a set of words they CANNOT use in order to give a definition of the word. An example in English: (of course students will play in their own language.. they are beginners, aren �t they?)

INTERNET
- world wide web
- surf
- download
- computer
- etc.

I write all the words on the board, and at the end of the game, I point out that they really do know English!
I hope I made myself clear! Good luck with your students!

25 May 2010     

atsanti85
Canada

Hi Marytna,
Check out icebreaker games for ESL students/adults.

That should give you lots of ideas.

I love Taboo as well!  I �ve seen some members upload Taboo cards here on ESLprintables so that �s a resource ready-made.

Have fun!

25 May 2010     

izzz1205
Poland

Hi Martyna

I �m also from Poland:) I � ve got an idea which you can use for introduction. First, if they know any adjectives you tell them to say their names one by one and describe themselves by using a word that starts with the first letter of their name.  For example, if one name is Luke he can describe himself as "lovely Luke" etc. It can be really funny :)

Good luck!
Iza

25 May 2010     

kmochniak
Poland

What I did was first to elicit as many English words as they know. Everybody knows thank you, I love you, black, the best and so on. Then I showed them a short youtube film where James Bond was saying My name �s Bond, James Bond. Then all of them had to say it with their own names. If they are adults they won �t like to play all the lesson. They want to be sure that they will learn something every lesson, including the first one:)Start with to be in all persons, ask them to say it beginning from the singular, then beginning from the plural and explain that this is the way they have to do at home. You �ll be surprised how much they know already, eliciting takes a lot of time. Write all words on the board and use them later on in simple sentences with to be. Have fun!

25 May 2010