Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > QUESTIONS    

QUESTIONS

Urpi
Peru

QUESTIONS

Good morning dear colleagues: I have found two examples that have made me question about the difference between TRIP and JOURNEY:
I thought that Journey was a very long and difficult trip, while Trip was something for fun and shorter. Well the examples are these:

Some still go on JOURNEYS across the desert.

They still make TRIPS into the desert.

Some and they are refering to nomads.

So it is still not clear for me what the difference is.

Embarrassed   another question

Is funeral and burial the same? And here in Peru before the funeral itself we have like a previous goodbye in a room where people pray and bring flowers for  the dead person but I do not know how it is called. Here is Velorio.

Thanks in advance.

31 May 2010      

kodora
Greece

journey:a time spent travelling from one place to another, especially over a long distance [= trip American English]
trip:
a visit to a place that involves a journey, for pleasure or a particular purpose
funeral:a religious ceremony for burying or cremating (=burning) someone who has died
burial: the act or ceremony of putting a dead body into a grave
all of them and much more can be found here:http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/
I hope I �ve helped you
Dora

31 May 2010     

yanogator
United States

Hi,
As I understand it, we in the US use journey as a slightly more formal word, and usually a more involved time of travel. If I flew to Peru to visit you, it would be a trip. If I drove and had adventures along the way, it would be a journey. Generally, a vacation is a trip, not a journey. I hope this helps a little. There are many details that I left out.

In the US, this period before the funeral is often called the "visitation". It �s purpose is for the family of the deceased to get to talk to their friends and relatives. If it is more organized, it is called a "wake". There is often a get-together after the funeral, too, with food. Some people call that a "wake". There are many variations on this here.

Bruce

31 May 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

The difference is pretty tricky for learners as you can have "a ten hour journey by train" and "a ten hour trip by train". Here they are synonymous. Howevever, when you include activities (ie a holiday/meetings), that is, when you �re talking about a JOURNEY + ACTIVITIES then "trip" is the one to use.

Sometimes collocations can help - for instance:

a school trip (to the zoo/science museum, etc), an overseas/a round-the-world/a business trip, a shopping trip, a skiing trip

So: Journey/trip can be about going from A to B, but only trip is about that and/or what you did when you got to B!

Therefore that�s why both "have a safe journey" and "have a safe trip" work!

31 May 2010     

Urpi
Peru

Yes you are right Colibrita the difference is tricky, is not like WIN or EARN - ROB or STEAL, I wasn �t sure how could I explain that to my students since I didn �t understand it very well, It was an embarrasing situation.
Well thanks for the clarification: Dora, Bruce and ColibritaBig smile

31 May 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Bruce,

Talking about variations on �wake �, there �s a lovely old Scots word to describe the food and drink laid on for the bereaved and their guests after a funeral. It �s called a �purvey � (related to provide) as in "He micht have been a richt auld scunner, but the purvey wis grand, man!".

Alex

31 May 2010